In October 1949, Mao Zedong announced the creation of the People's Republic of China. China and Russia had long been allies and now, as communist states, that relationship was more important to both countries than ever before. Communist propaganda has always been an integral part of that particular political structure, and Chinese-Russian propaganda attests to how much each country wanted to show the world they had a united front - China and Russia walking hand-in-hand, happy and gay, so to speak. The posters they used to get this idea across, however, may have been a bit too literal.
The designers of these posters didn't realize how homoerotic they were, which is pretty mind-blowing. Tunnel-visioned on convincing people within Russia and China that cooperation and closeness was essential to survival, the posters include physical connections between men, meant to represent the larger political relationship. Activists for gay rights in both Russia and China find inspiration in the posters, using the images in their own propaganda campaigns.
Friends forever and together always, China and Russia made a cute couple.
1. Let's Make A Communist Family Together
2. A Nice Day Outing To The Orchard Picking FruitPhoto: flickr / CC0
3. You, Me, And The Book Of Communism - Let's Dance!Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
4. Communism Makes Me Feel Warm And Cozy, Just Like A Big HugPhoto: flickr / CC0
5. We're Going To Read Lenin Together In Bed Tonight, Are You?Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
6. Who Doesn't Love A Man In Uniform, Mate?