List of countries, nations and states governed or ruled by a government in exile, sorted alphabetically. In some cases nations may have multiple ruling bodies or government types, meaning they're not exclusively countries that are governed by government in exile. This list of countries that use government in exile as their form of government contains various bits of information about each nation, such as the official language or currency of the country. If you're looking for the names of countries with government in exile governments then you're in the right place.
The list you're viewing is made up of a variety of different items, including Chechen Republic of Ichkeria and Republic of the South Moluccas.This list answers the questions, "Which countries are ruled by government in exile?" and "Which countries are governed by government in exile?"
- The Belarusian People's Republic, historically referred to as the White Ruthenian Democratic Republic was a failed attempt to create Belarusian state that declared independence in 1918. It was ...more
- The Central Tibetan Administration, is an organization based in India with the stated goals of "rehabilitating Tibetan refugees and restoring freedom and happiness in Tibet". It was established by ...more
- The Chechen Republic of Ichkeria is the unrecognized secessionist government of Chechen Republic. The republic was proclaimed in late 1991 by Dzokhar Dudayev, and fought two devastating wars with the ...more
- Taiwan, officially the Republic of China, is a sovereign state in East Asia. The Republic of China, originally based in mainland China, now governs the island of Taiwan, which makes up over 99% of ...more
- The Crown Council of Ethiopia was the constitutional body which advised the reigning Emperor of Ethiopia, and acted on behalf of the Crown. The council’s members were appointed by the emperor. The ...more
- The Government of the Autonomous Republic of Abkhazia is an administration recognized by Georgia as the legal government of Abkhazia. Abkhazia has been de facto independent of Georgia – though with ...more
- The Pahlavi dynasty (Persian: دودمان پهلوی) was the last ruling house of the Imperial State of Iran from 1925 until 1979, when the Persian monarchy was overthrown and abolished as a result of the ...more
- The Provisional Administration of South Ossetia is an administrative body that Georgia regards as the legal government of South Ossetia, even though this administrative entity was formally abolished ...more
- The Republic of Cabinda, also called the Republique du Kabinda is an unrecognized state in western Africa. The Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda-Forças Armadas de Cabinda claims ...more
- The Republic of South Maluku, also known as the Republic of the South Moluccas, was a self-proclaimed republic in the Maluku Islands founded on 25 April 1950. The main islands were Seram, Ambon, and ...more
- The Royal Lao Government in Exile is a Lao government in exile opposed to the Lao People's Democratic Republic. Its stated goal is to institute a constitutional monarchy in Laos that ensures freedom, ...more
- The Sahrawi Arab Democratic Republic is a partially recognized state that controls a thin strip of area in the Western Sahara region and claims sovereignty over the entire territory of Western ...more