The horror genre has been a major staple of television since The Twilight Zone began scaring audiences around the world in 1959. Since then, horror TV shows have popped up every once in a while to terrify a whole new generation of TV viewers. Currently, there are more genuinely creepy television shows airing than ever before. Shows like American Horror Story and Black Mirror have been designed to haunt your dreams, from the nightmare-inducing credit sequences to the spine-chilling imagery.
There are plenty of TV shows to excite and horrify the average horror fan and general television viewers alike. Shows like Hannibal and Bates Motel are bringing to life some of the most iconic movie villains of all time on the small screen. Whether you’re a fan of the decaying, flesh-eating zombies on The Walking Dead or enjoy the psychotic cult of serial killers on The Following, there’s something for every type of horror lover.
What do you think is the most creepy show on TV right now? Vote up the paranormal tv show you think is the creepiest and most chilling. This list features the top creepy shows that are still on the air.
- Photo: American Horror Story / FXAmerican Horror Story (FX, 2011) is an American anthology horror television series created by Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk. An anthology series centering on different characters and locations, including a house with a haunting past, an insane asylum, a witch coven, a freak show, a hotel, a possessed farmhouse, and a cult. ...more
- Actors: Dylan McDermott, Connie Britton, Taissa Farmiga, Jessica Lange, Evan Peters
- Premiered: October 5, 2011
- Photo: The Walking Dead / AMCThe Walking Dead (AMC, 2010) is an American post-apocalyptic horror television series developed by Frank Darabont, based on the comic book series by Robert Kirkman, Tony Moore, and Charlie Adlard. Sheriff Deputy Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) wakes up alone in a hospital to learn the world is in ruins, and must lead a group of survivors to stay alive. ...more
- Actors: Norman Reedus, Melissa McBride, Lauren Cohan, Josh McDermitt, Christian Serratos
- Premiered: October 31, 2010
- Photo: Stranger Things / NetflixStranger Things (Netflix, 2016) is an American science fiction-horror web television series created by The Duffer Brothers. When a young boy (Noah Schnapp) disappears, his mother (Winona Ryder), a police chief (David Harbour), and his friends, must confront terrifying forces in order to get him back. ...more
- Actors: Winona Ryder, David Harbour, Finn Wolfhard, Natalia Dyer, Cara Buono
- Premiered: July 15, 2016
- Photo: Black Mirror / NetflixBlack Mirror (Netflix, 2011) is a British television anthology series created by Charlie Brooker. The show features speculative fiction with dark and sometimes satirical themes that examine modern society, particularly with regard to the unanticipated consequences of new technologies. ...more
- Actors: Daniel Kaluuya, Toby Kebbell, Rory Kinnear
- Premiered: December 4, 2011