Few TV genres are as tricky to get right as the science-fiction series. However, this also allows for there to be an unlimited number of sci-fi shows with different tones, scopes, and stories depending on the platform they're coming from - be it a big-budget network smash hit, or a smaller and more intimate cable series. There are some excellent current sci-fi shows on television - but which do you think are the best?
It's time to pick the best sci-fi shows on television right now - those you think everyone should be watching. These are sci fi TV shows or sci fi series that voters have agreed are the best of the genre - at least for the current crop (we all know Battlestar Galactica would outrank them all!). However, new sci-fi shows like Timeless and Upload might quickly climb up the list.
Check out this list of the best sci-fi shows on television right now and vote up the good current science fiction shows you think deserve the top spots. Whether you prefer an epic story of sister clones fighting to survive, or an anthology series for the ages, if it's a great sci-fi airing now, you'll find it below.
- The Expanse (Syfy, 2015) is an American science fiction television series developed by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, based on the novels by James S. A. Corey. In a future where humanity has colonized ...more
- The Mandalorian (Disney+, 2019) is an American space opera web television series set in the Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. Taking place after the events in Return of the Jedi, but before ...more
- Stranger Things (Netflix, 2016) is an American science fiction-horror web television series created by The Duffer Brothers. When a young boy (Noah Schnapp) disappears, his mother (Winona Ryder), a ...more
- Foundation (Apple TV+, 2021) American science fiction television series based on the book series of the same name by Isaac Asimov. Foundation chronicles the thousand year saga of The Foundation, a ...more
- The Orville (Fox, 2017) is a science fiction comedy-drama series created by Seth MacFarlane. Ed Mercer (MacFarlane) is captain of the U.S.S. Orville (ECV-197), a mid-level exploration starship 400 ...more
- Westworld (HBO, 2016) is an American science fiction western thriller television series created by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, and based on the 1973 film. In a technologically advanced Wild ...more
- The Umbrella Academy (Netflix, 2019) is an American television series developed by Steve Blackman, based on the comic book series by Gerard Way. A disbanded group of superheroes reunite after their ...more
- Halo (Paramount+, 2022) is an American sci-fi action television series based on the video game franchise. Halo follows an epic 26th-century conflict between humanity and an alien threat known as the ...more
- A father suddenly appears at his adult daughter's doorstep, 20 years after disappearing.
- The crew of the USS Discovery explores new worlds and civilizations.
- Resident Alien (Syfy, 2021) is an American comedy drama television series adapted by Chris Sheridan and based on the comic book series created by Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse. The series follows a ...more
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (CBS All Access, 2022) is an American sci-fi adventure drama created by Akiva Goldsman, Alex Kurtzman, and Jenny Lumet and is based on the Star Trek franchise created by ...more
- Love, Death & Robots (Netflix, 2019) is an American animated television anthology series. A collection of animated short stories that span various genres including science fiction, fantasy, horror, ...more
- Young heroes from around the DC Universe come of age in this gritty take on "Teen Titans."
- The Book of Boba Fett (Disney+, 2021) is an American action, adventure, sci-fi spin-off series developed by Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni. Legendary bounty hunter Boba Fett and mercenary Fennec Shand ...more
- Doctor Who (BBC, 2005) is a British science-fiction television show created by Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber, and Donald Wilson. The further adventures in time and space of the alien adventurer known ...more
- See (Apple TV+, 2019) is an American science fiction drama television series. The show takes place in a future when the human race has lost the sense of sight, and society has had to find new ways to ...more
- Raised by Wolves (HBO Max, 2020) is an American science fiction drama television series created by Ridley Scott and Aaron Guzikowski. Androids are tasked with raising human children on a mysterious ...more
- Star Trek: Picard (CBS All Access, 2020) is an American television series created by Akiva Goldsman, Michael Chabon, Kirsten Beyer, and Alex Kurtzman and it features the Star Trek character Jean-Luc ...more
- Loki (Disney+, 2021) is an American television limited series based on the Marvel Comics' character Loki (Tom Hiddleston). The series follows the version of Loki who stole the Space Stone in 2012 ...more
- Upload (Amazon Video, 2020) is an American science fiction comedy satire television series created by Greg Daniels. In the future, Nathan (Robbie Amell) meets his early death, and is uploaded into ...more
- Snowpiercer (TNT, 2020) is an American television series based on the French graphic novel Le Transperceneige created by Jacques Lob, Benjamin Legrand and Jean-Marc Rochette. Set seven years after ...more
- The Nevers (HBO, 2021) is an American historical science fiction drama created by Joss Whedon. The series is about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless ...more
- When a freak accident grants CSI Barry Allen superspeed, he uses the power to solve crimes.
- Russian Doll (Netflix, 2019) is an American comedy web television series created by Natasha Lyonne, Amy Poehler, and Leslye Headland. A young woman (Natasha Lyonne) in New York tries to escape from a ...more