Extraterrestrials continue to captivate the public and the best current alien shows on television range in terms of tone, style, and genre. Some of the best new alien series are dramatic series about alien attacks while other good current shows about extraterrestrials are lighthearted shows set in outer space. Some fan-favorite alien TV shows airing now are reboots of classic series and even cartoon shows deal with aliens.
What will you find on this list of the best current alien TV shows? Doctor Who is a long-running show about a TARDIS traveling Time Lord combating alien foes, and although the Doctor looks like a regular (if fashionable) human, Time Lords are still an ancient race of extraterrestrial people. Another alien among us is in Roswell, New Mexico, the latest version of the drama series based on the YA novels. Other good current shows featuring aliens include Star Trek: Picard, The Orville, and Resident Alien.
There are a lot of great shows about aliens, so it's hard to pick just one as the best of the best. Vote your favorite current alien shows to the top of the list to help other fans find new faves.
- Photo: Doctor Who / BBCDoctor Who (BBC, 2005) is a British science-fiction television show created by Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber, and Donald Wilson. The further adventures in time and space of the alien adventurer known as the Doctor, a Time Lord/Lady who can change appearance and gender, and his/her companions.... more
- Actors: Jodie Whittaker, Mandip Gill, John Bishop, Tosin Cole, Bradley Walsh
- Premiered: March 26, 2005
- Network: BBC One
- Photo: The Orville / FoxThe Orville (Fox, 2017) is a science fiction comedy-drama series created by Seth MacFarlane. Ed Mercer (MacFarlane) is captain of the U.S.S. Orville (ECV-197), a mid-level exploration starship 400 years in the future. His ex-wife Kelly (Adrianne Palicki) is first officer, and best friend Gordon (Scott Grimes) is the helmsman of the ship. The series moved to Hulu for its third season.... more
- Actors: Seth MacFarlane, Adrianne Palicki, Penny Johnson, Scott Grimes, Peter Macon
- Premiered: September 10, 2017
- Network: Fox
- Lost in Space (Netflix, 2018) is an American science fiction web television series created by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, and a reboot of the 1965 series. After encountering a rip in spacetime and landed on an unknown planet, the Robinson Family and other colonists marooned with them must battle an alien environment and their own personal demons as they try to return home.... more
- Actors: Toby Stephens, Molly Parker, Maxwell Jenkins, Taylor Russell, Mina Sundwall
- Premiered: April 13, 2018
- Network: Netflix
- The Mandalorian (Disney+, 2019) is an American space opera web television series set in the Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. Taking place after the events in Return of the Jedi, but before The Force Awakens, the show follows a lone Mandalorian gunfighter (Pedro Pascal) beyond the reaches of the Republic.... more
- Actors: Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito, Omid Abtahi
- Premiered: November 12, 2019
- Network: Disney+