As the mysterious final frontier that is space continues to fascinate those of us on earth, there continue to be many current TV shows about space. From Doctor Who to Star Trek: Discovery, the desire to tell stories about travelling the stars is a constant, and the best current space TV shows come in many forms. Some good current TV shows about space are dramas, while other new space TV series are hilarious comedies.
What will you find on this list of the best current outer space TV shows? Set in a galaxy far, far away, characters on The Mandalorian spend as much time hopping between the stars and planets as they do on the ground. Apple TV+ has For All Mankind, which dramatizes an alternate history of the space race that cemented our eyes to the stars. Fox's The Orville, Seth MacFarlane's comedic drama set 400 years in the future, is dominating the ratings, while the Star Trek series it's fondly referencing keep coming up with new space-tacular spin-offs. Other good current space series include Moonbase 8 and Another Life.
There are a lot of great shows about outer space, so it's hard to pick just one as the best of the best. Vote your favorite current space shows to the top of the list to help other fans find new faves.
- Photo: The Expanse / SyFyThe Expanse (Syfy, 2015) is an American science fiction television series developed by Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby, based on the novels by James S. A. Corey. In a future where humanity has colonized the Solar System, a crew unravels a conspiracy that threatens peace in the system and the survival of humanity.... more
- Actors: Steven Strait, Dominique Tipper, Wes Chatham, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Frankie Adams
- Premiered: December 14, 2015
- Network: Syfy, Amazon
- The Mandalorian (Disney+, 2019) is an American space opera web television series set in the Star Wars universe created by George Lucas. Taking place after the events in Return of the Jedi, but before The Force Awakens, the show follows a lone Mandalorian gunfighter (Pedro Pascal) beyond the reaches of the Republic.... more
- Actors: Pedro Pascal, Gina Carano, Carl Weathers, Giancarlo Esposito, Omid Abtahi
- Premiered: November 12, 2019
- Network: Disney+
- Lost in Space (Netflix, 2018) is an American science fiction web television series created by Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, and a reboot of the 1965 series. After encountering a rip in spacetime and landed on an unknown planet, the Robinson Family and other colonists marooned with them must battle an alien environment and their own personal demons as they try to return home.... more
- Actors: Toby Stephens, Molly Parker, Maxwell Jenkins, Taylor Russell, Mina Sundwall
- Premiered: April 13, 2018
- Network: Netflix
- The Orville (Fox, 2017) is a science fiction comedy-drama series created by Seth MacFarlane. Ed Mercer (MacFarlane) is captain of the U.S.S. Orville (ECV-197), a mid-level exploration starship 400 years in the future. His ex-wife Kelly (Adrianne Palicki) is first officer, and best friend Gordon (Scott Grimes) is the helmsman of the ship. The series moved to Hulu for its third season.... more
- Actors: Seth MacFarlane, Adrianne Palicki, Penny Johnson, Scott Grimes, Peter Macon
- Premiered: September 10, 2017
- Network: Fox