Curiosity about history and the desire to undo past mistakes make time travel a continually fascinating concept, which is likely the reason new TV shows about the subject come out frequently. Many currently airing programs include characters that can travel through time. Want to know what it's like to witness historical moments firsthand? Have a deep seated desire to go back in time and redo your most embarrassing, regretful moments? If so, you may enjoy some of the items on this list.
Many of the best current time travel shows have accrued massive popularity and a cult-like following. Outlander, which premiered in 2014, combines time travel with historical fiction for a fascinating and entertaining viewing experience. Doctor Who, a franchise that's been consistently popular for years, follows the adventures of the titular doctor as he transcends space and time. Some shows feature characters who use time travel to try to save humanity. Other good TV shows about time travel found on this list include Legends of Tomorrow, and the latest addition to the MCU, Loki.
Which current show about time travel is your favorite? Give the best series a thumbs up and please add any good shows we may have missed. And if you're a fan of the genre, make sure to check out our list of time travel films.
- 1538179Outlander (Starz, 2014) is a historical drama television series developed by Ronald D. Moore, based on the novel series by Diana Gabaldon. A married former WWII nurse (Caitriona Balfe) is suddenly transported back in time to 1740s Scotland where she meets a Highland warrior (Sam Heughan).... more
- Actors: Caitriona Balfe, Sam Heughan, Sophie Skelton, Richard Rankin, Duncan Lacroix
- Premiered: August 9, 2014
- Genres: Drama
- Photo: Doctor Who / BBC2501168Doctor Who (BBC, 2005) is a British science-fiction television show created by Sydney Newman, C. E. Webber, and Donald Wilson. The further adventures in time and space of the alien adventurer known as the Doctor, a Time Lord/Lady who can change appearance and gender, and his/her companions.... more
- Actors: Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant, Matt Smith, Peter Capaldi, Jodie Whittaker
- Premiered: November 23, 1963
- Genres: Sci-fi, Adventure, Drama
- 3241163The Flash (The CW, 2014) is an American superhero television series developed by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, and Geoff Johns, based on the DC Comics character. CSI Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) gains super-human speed, which he uses to fight wrong doers, including others who have also gained superhuman abilities.... more
- Actors: Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Tom Cavanagh
- Premiered: October 7, 2014
- Genres: Drama, Action, Adventure, Fantasy
- Photo: Legends of Tomorrow / CW4217151DC's Legends of Tomorrow (The CW, 2016) is an American superhero action-adventure television series spin-off from Arrow and The Flash, existing in the same fictional universe. Intending to stop him, he recruits a team consisting of Ray Palmer/The Atom (Brandon Routh), Sara Lance/White Canary (Caity Lotz), Martin Stein (Victor Garber), and Jefferson "Jax" Jackson (Franz Drameh), who together become the hero Firestorm, Kendra Saunders/Hawkgirl, Carter Hall/Hawkman, Leonard Snart/Captain Cold, and Mick Rory/Heat Wave.... more
- Actors: Brandon Routh, Dominic Purcell, Caity Lotz, Nick Zano, Maisie Richardson-Sellers
- Premiered: January 21, 2016
- Genres: Drama, Fantasy