If you've been paying close attention to the airwaves lately, you've probably noticed that there's a lot of television where nothing happens popping up. Not every show has to follow the every day workings of a drug dealer, or the political ambitions of a ruthless politician in order to be interesting, and ranked here are the best shows where basically nothing happens. These TV shows still manage to be not only interesting, but some of the best current series. How do they do it?
Mostly character-driven shows, these TV series where nothing is really happening following interesting people, have dense and well-written dialogue, and focus less on plot and more on jokes, tone, and character development.
Which are the best TV shows where nothing happens? Whether it be a breakout Netflix show about the living in New York City, while trying to have an opinion on some topical issues, or a show about literally the worst people living in Los Angeles - here are the best shows on television right now - where literally nothing happens. Vote up the best of them and add any other series that fit the bill.
- Four egocentric friends run a bar together in Philadelphia.
- A third-generation restaurateur runs a burger joint with his wife and their three kids.
- Larry David gets into predicaments at home, work and around town.
- An eccentric family suffers a reversal of fortune.
- Life can be hectic for single father and successful stand-up comedian Louie.
- After his wife dies, Tony decides to live long enough to punish the world by doing what he likes.
- A strong friendship blossoms between a tightly wound widow and a free spirit with a shocking secret.
- The personal and professional life of an actor in New York who has trouble making decisions.
- A look into the lives of four vampires who have been roommates for hundreds and hundreds of years.
- The past and future unravel when a dramatic admission causes a family's secrets to spill out.
- Two aspiring New York City comedians in their mid-30s blame the world around them for their misery.