Sometimes nothing is more shocking than the truth and these television dramas inspired by real events prove it. From true crime to world-shaking catastrophes and deeply personal events, TV dramas based on true stories can grip your attention like nothing else.
Some series stick to the events more closely than others - both Chernobyl and When They See Us were exhaustively researched - and can have an almost historical feel, even as they're telling the true stories of a time not that long ago. Other series, such as American Crime Story, have a heightened sense of drama. There are even drams such as Alias Grace that are more fictionalized retellings of real historical crimes.
Vote up the dark dramas based on real events that caught your attention the most.
- Photo: Chernobyl / HBOChernobyl (HBO, 2019) is an American-British historical drama television miniseries created by Craig Mazin. In April 1986, an explosion at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant in the USSR becomes one of the world's worst man-made catastrophes.... more
- Actors: Jared Harris, Stellan Skarsgård, Emily Watson, Paul Ritter, Jessie Buckley
- Premiered: May 6, 2019
- Network: HBO
- Photo: NetflixWhen They See Us (Netflix, 2019) is an American drama web television miniseries created by Ava DuVernay, based on the 1989 Central Park jogger case. The notorious case of five teenagers of color, called the "Cenral Park Five," who were convicted of a crime they did not commit.... more
- Actors: Michael Kenneth Williams, Vera Farmiga, John Leguizamo, Felicity Huffman, Niecy Nash
- Premiered: May 31, 2019
- Network: Netflix
- Photo: Mindhunter / NetflixMindhunter (Netflix, 2017) is an American crime thriller television series created by Joe Penhall, based on the true crime book by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker. FBI agents Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff) and Bill Tench (Holt McCallany) interview imprisoned serial killers to understand how they think, with the hope of applying this knowledge to solve ongoing cases.... more
- Actors: Jonathan Groff, Holt McCallany, Anna Torv, Joe Tuttle, Stacey Roca
- Premiered: October 13, 2017
- Network: Netflix
- Photo: Waco4
WacoWaco (Paramount Network, 2018) is an American television miniseries created by John Erick Dowdle and Drew Dowdle, based on the 1993 Waco siege. The FBI and ATF seize religious leader David Koresh's (Taylor Kitsch) Branch Davidian compound near Waco, Texas in the spring of 1993.... more
- Actors: Michael Shannon, Taylor Kitsch, Andrea Riseborough, John Leguizamo, Rory Culkin
- Premiered: January 24, 2018
- Network: Paramount Network