Here is a list of the best DC animated feature length movies including new DC animated movies as well. These are feature length animated films based on DC comics such as Batman, Superman, and Green Lantern, characters that live within the DC Universe. In the 1990s, when live action movies based on DC Comics were in a slump, the Warner Bros' DC animation division took the reins, putting forth great quality animated films led by the likes of Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, and Alan Burnett. Today, animated films based on DC Comics are still popular.
What are the best DC animated movies? Are the animated Batman movies like Batman: Under the Red Hood and Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker your favorites? DC Comics is currently owned by DC Entertainment, which in turn is owned by Warner Bros. Entertainment. These may not be all the DC animated movies, but they are the greatest.
You may think this is a list of DC movies, but in fact it is list of DC animated movies only. So you won’t find the likes of The Dark Knight, or Man of Steel here, but you will for sure see all the Superman animated movies. Maybe once DC makes enough we can have a Justice League movies list.
- Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is a direct-to-video animated film adaptation of the 2011 comic book crossover "Flashpoint" by Geoff Johns and Andy Kubert. It is scripted by Jim Krieg and ...more
- Year of Release: 2010Batman: Under the Red Hood is a 2010 American superhero film produced by Warner Bros. Animation and released by Warner Home Video. It is the eighth animated feature in the DC Universe Animated ...more
- Year of Release: 1993In this animated feature set in the 1940s, the troubled yet heroic Batman (Kevin Conroy) is pitted against a mysterious figure who is rubbing out Gotham City's most dangerous criminals, and who many ...more
- Year of Release: 2000In the Gotham City of the future, an older Bruce Wayne (Kevin Conroy) trains a college student, Terry McGinnis (Will Friedle), to replace him as Batman. Meanwhile, the Joker (Mark Hamill) has ...more
- Year of Release: 2012Batman: The Dark Knight Returns is a two-part direct-to-video animated superhero film, an adaptation of the 1986 comic book The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller and serves as a sequel to 2011's ...more
- Year of Release: 2012Vandal Savage uses stolen information from Batman's secret files to mastermind a plan to exterminate the Justice League.
- Justice League: War is an upcoming direct-to-video animated superhero film, an adaptation of Geoff Johns and Jim Lee's 2011 Justice League: Origin storyline. It was directed by Jay Oliva and scripted ...more
- Year of Release: 2010A good version of Lex Luthor from a parallel Earth comes to the Justice League's dimension for help to fight their evil counterparts.
- Year of Release: 2010Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is a 2010 direct-to-video animated superhero film based on the Superman/Batman comic storyline "The Supergirl from Krypton" and is a sequel to Superman/Batman: Public ...more
- Batman: Assault on Arkham is a 2014 direct-to-video animated superhero film that is part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies. Jay Oliva and Ethan Spaulding direct, with a script by Heath ...more
- Year of Release: 2011Batman: Year One is a 2011 animated superhero film based on the four-issue story arc Batman: Year One printed in 1987. It premiered at Comic-Con on July 22 and was officially released October 18, ...more
- Year of Release: 2009Superman/Batman: Public Enemies is a 2009 original direct-to-video animated superhero film adaptation of "Public Enemies"—the opening story arc of DC Comics' Superman/Batman—which focuses on Superman ...more
- The Batman Superman Movie: World's Finest is a 1997 animated feature comprised of the Superman: The Animated Series 3-part episode "World's Finest" released on VHS and DVD. It depicts the first ...more
- Year of Release: 2009Wonder Woman is a 2009 direct-to-DVD animated superhero film focusing on the superheroine of the same name. The plot of the film is loosely based on George Pérez's reboot of the character, ...more
- Son of Batman is a direct-to-video animated superhero film which is part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies. It is an adaptation of Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert's 2006 Batman and Son ...more
- Batman vs. Robin is a direct-to-video animated superhero film which is part of the DC Universe Animated Original Movies and DC Animated Movie Universe. The film is partially based on the Batman: The ...more
- Year of Release: 2015
Sean Astin, Rosario Dawson, Nathan Fillion
- Superman/Shazam!: The Return of Black Adam is a 2010 short animated film, directed by Joaquim Dos Santos and written by Michael Jelenic, featuring George Newbern and Jerry O'Connell reprising their ...more
- Year of Release: 2009Green Lantern: First Flight is a 2009 direct-to-video animated superhero film adaptation of the DC Comics Green Lantern mythology. Centering on the first mission of Hal Jordan, the first human ...more
- Year of Release: 2007Superman: Doomsday is a 2007 American direct-to-video animated superhero film, adapted from the popular DC Comics storyline. The film is rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America for ...more
- Justice League: The New Frontier is a 2008, direct-to-video, animated, superhero film adapted from the DC Comics limited series DC: The New Frontier. The film was written by Stan Berkowitz and the ...more
- Year of Release: 1998Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero is a 1998 direct-to-video animated feature film, the second based on Batman: The Animated Series, serving as a stand-alone sequel to Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. It won ...more
- A mysterious villain tries to take down Batman.
- Batman forms Justice League Dark, a new team of dark arts specialists that is led by John Constantine. The team must unravel the mystery of a supernatural plague and contend with the rising, powerful ...more