The Notorious B.I.G. once rapped, "I wonder if I died / Would tears come to her eyes / Forgive me for my disrespect / Forgive me for my lies." Biggie, we forgive you. Several famous rappers and hip-hop stars have unfortunately passed away. This list ranks the best of them. Some of these musicians were shot during an illegal activity, while others died of natural causes. Two famous rappers are suspected to have died in conjunction with the East/West rap rivalry of the 1990s.
Who is the best rapper who is already dead? Tupac Shakur tops our list. Tupac died on September 13, 1996 after being shot in Las Vegas. He was 25 years old. The Notorious B.I.G. died on March 9, 1997 after being murdered in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles. Though many believe that his death was retaliation for the murder of Tupac, no arrests have been made in correlation with either murder.
Adam Yauch, aka, MCA of the Beastie Boys, died on May 4, 2012 after a three year battle with cancer. He was 47 years old. On August 25, 2001, Aaliyah was killed, along with eight others, when her flight to the Bahamas crashed shortly after takeoff. She was 22 years old.
Are you surprised that so many famous rappers have died? Take a look at this list and share your thoughts in the comments section.
- Tupac Shakur died on September 13, 1996 after being shot in Las Vegas. He was 25 years old.
- The Notorious B.I.G. died on March 9, 1997 after being shot in a drive-by shooting in Los Angeles. Many believe that his death was a retaliation for Tupac's death in their ongoing East Coast/West Coast rivalry.
XXXTentacion was tragically shot and killed while sitting in a car in Florida on June 18, 2018.
- In 1995, NWA rapper Eazy-E was diagnosed with AIDS when he went to the hospital to treat what he thought was asthma. He died from complications from AIDS less than a month later.
- Nate Dogg died March 15, 2011 due to complications with multiple strokes. He was 41 years old.
Prodigy died June 20 2017 in Las Vegas N.V. at the age of 42 ... he died from a lifelong Battlle with Sickle-Cell Anaemia Disease, the average life expectancy ranges form 40 to 60 for people who suffer of this disease
- The Big Picture, Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous, Children of the Corn: The Collector's Edition
On February 15, 1999, Big L was killed in his native Harlem after being shot nine times in the face and chest in a drive-by shooting.
- Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, The Trials and Tribulations of Russell Jones, Ghetto Supastar (That Is What You Are)Ol' Dirty Bastard died on November 13, 2004 from a drug overdose at the age of 35.
- On August 25, 2001, Aaliyah and eight others were killed when her airplane crashed shortly after takeoff. She was 22 years old.
- Big Pun died on February 7, 2000 after suffering a fatal heart attack in New York. He struggled with maintaining a healthy weight for much of his life.
- 12Proof was shot and killed in Detroit on April 11, 2006. He was 32 years old.
- Guru died on April 19, 2010 after falling into a coma after having surgery due to cardiac arrest.
On March 22, 2016, Phife Dawg died from complications relating to diabetes at age 45.
- Jason Mizell, aka, Jam Master Jay, was shot and killed on October 30, 2002. His murder remains unsolved.
- Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes was involved in a fatal car accident in Honduras on April 25, 2002. A documentary, entitled The Last Days of Left Eye, was made in commemeration.
On December 4, 2007, Pimp C was found dead in his West Hollywood hotel room due to "purple drank" overdose.
On November 1, 2004, Mac Dre died in a drive by shooting.
On December 23, 2012, Capital STEEZ committed suicide by jumping off the rooftop of Cinematic Music Group headquarters in New York.
- Heavy D died on November 8, 2011 after experiencing a a pulmonary embolism. He was 44 years old.
On August 8, 2015, Sean Price died in his sleep at age 43 due to unknown reasons.
- Adam Yauch, aka, MCA of the Beastie Boys, died on May 4, 2012 after a three year battle with cancer. He was 47 years old.
- Lil Snupe died after being shot in the chest on June 20, 2013.
On November 16, 2000, DJ Screw died from a codeine overdose inside his Houston recording studio.