List of the best Doris Day movies, ranked best to worst with movie trailers when available. Doris Day charmed Hollywood and the rest of the world with appearances in such films as Pillow Talk and That Touch of Mink. Doris Day's highest grossing movies have received a lot of accolades over the years, earning millions upon millions around the world. The order of these top Doris Day movies is decided by how many votes they receive, so only highly rated Doris Day movies will be at the top of the list. Doris Day has been in a lot of films, so people often debate each other over what the greatest Doris Day movie of all time is. If you and a friend are arguing about this then use this list of the most entertaining Doris Day films to end the squabble once and for all.
If you think the best Doris Day role isn't at the top, then upvote it so it has the chance to become number one. The greatest Doris Day performances didn't necessarily come from the best movies, but in most cases they go hand in hand.
List below includes Calamity Jane, The Man Who Knew Too Much and more films."This list answers the questions, "What are the best Doris Day movies?" and "What are the greatest Doris Day roles of all time?" If you are a fan of Day's romantic works, you might also enjoy our list of best Rock Hudson movies and best James Stewart movies.
- Dr. Ben McKenna (James Stewart) is on vacation with his wife (Doris Day) and son in Morocco when a chance encounter with a stranger sets their trip, and their lives, on a drastically different ...more
- Nicholas Arden (James Garner) has struggled to get over the absence of his wife, Ellen (Doris Day), but when it seems clear that she's perished in a plane crash, he decides to move on. Nicholas ...more
- After eavesdropping on his doctors as they discuss another patient, George (Rock Hudson), a middle-aged hypochondriac, leaves a hospital visit believing he's terminally ill. Assuming he'll soon be ...more
- Playboy songwriter Brad Allen's (Rock Hudson) succession of romances annoys his neighbor, interior designer Jan Morrow (Doris Day), who shares a telephone party line with him and hears all his breezy ...more
- Successful OB-GYN Gerald Boyer (James Garner) and his wife, Beverly (Doris Day), are happily married with two children. At a dinner gathering, Beverly discusses her favorite soap, Happy Soap, and how ...more
- In the lonely Deadwood, Dakota, territory, sharpshooter Calamity Jane (Doris Day) falls for cavalry Lt. Danny Gilmartin (Philip Carey) when she is forced to rescue him from the Indians. Recognizing ...more
- During the 1920s, a small-time Chicago criminal, Martin Snyder (James Cagney), discovers a beautiful dancer, Ruth Etting (Doris Day), after she's fired from her job at a nightclub. Under Martin's ...more
- Cathy Timberlake (Doris Day) is en route to a job interview when a car transporting businessman Philip Shayne (Cary Grant) covers her in mud. He sends his assistant, Roger (Gig Young), to apologize, ...more
- By the Light of the Silvery Moon is a 1953 musical film. It is the sequel to On Moonlight Bay. Like its predecessor, the movie is based loosely on the Penrod stories by Booth Tarkington.
- Jennifer Nelson (Doris Day) works at an aerospace lab, but moonlights as a mermaid to boost sales for her father's glass-bottom boat company. When her coworker, Bruce Templeton (Rod Taylor), ...more
- Lawrence Mackay (David Niven), a professor at Columbia University, lives happily with his wife, Kate (Doris Day), and their three children. But when he leaves his career in education to become a ...more
- Abby McClure (Doris Day) starts dating Jake Iverson (Brian Keith), and soon they're planning a wedding. But the relationship is complicated, as widow Abby's three sons clash with the daughter Jake ...more
- Gregory Tuttle (Robert Keith), a widowed musician, is the father of three extraordinarily gifted daughters, Laurie (Doris Day), Fran (Dorothy Malone) and Amy (Elisabeth Fraser), all of whom are ...more
- Newspaper editor Jim Gannon (Clark Gable) doesn't have much respect for college journalism programs, so he's irate when his boss sends him to speak at a night-school class. Despite clashing with ...more
- Jerry (Rock Hudson) is a slick adman who uses women and booze to woo his clients. One day, his tactics draw the ire of Carol (Doris Day), an executive at a rival agency, who reports him to the Ad ...more
- On Moonlight Bay is a 1951 musical film directed by Roy Del Ruth which tells the story of the Winfield family at the turn of the 20th century. The movie is based loosely on the Penrod stories by ...more
- When the American wife of a wealthy London-based financier starts receiving frightening phone calls, she believes her life is in danger, but when she protests to her family following a near-fatal ...more
- The boss of an Iowa pajama factory hires superintendent Sid Sorokin (John Raitt) to help oppose the workers' demand for a seven-and-a-half-cent raise. Sid's handsome, affable presence stirs the ...more
- After a shipment of fresh lobsters isn't delivered on time to Jane Osgood (Doris Day), a widowed mother of two running a failing restaurant supply business in Maine, she hires her lawyer friend ...more
- Nanette (Doris Day) has dreams of Broadway, but lacks the funds to stage the musical her boyfriend, Larry (Billy De Wolfe), has written. After extracting a promise from him to make her the star of ...more
- Although Mike (Don DeFore) and Elvira Kent (Janis Paige) are in love, each suspects the other of unfaithfulness. Elvira plans an anniversary cruise to Rio, but, when Mike cancels at the last minute ...more
- American Mike Harper (Rod Taylor), sent to do business in England, moves there with his wife, Janet (Doris Day). But she soon becomes convinced that Mike is carrying on with his attractive new ...more
- Storm Warning is a 1951 American thriller, directed by Stuart Heisler, and featuring Ginger Rogers, Ronald Reagan, Doris Day and Steve Cochran. Lauren Bacall was originally cast in the part ...more
- Julie's first husband, Bob, supposedly committed suicide due to a financial crises, but a while into her second marriage, an emotional outburst from her new husband, Lyle, leads her to discover that ...more
- Rick Martin (Kirk Douglas) is a young man with no direction in life --until he discovers he has a flare for the trumpet. When jazz icon Art Hazzard (Juano Hernandez) agrees to become his teacher, ...more