El Chico recipes, a helpful guide to preparing your favorite dishes from the El Chico menu at home. These copycat recipes are typically not based on exactly the method used at El Chico, but are modeled closely on the flavor and texture of El Chico's food, making it easier than ever to bring these great tastes to your house for cheap.
El Chico is a chain of casual Tex-Mex restaurants with 78 locations found throughout the Southern United States. The business began in 1926 with Cuellar family near Dallas, TX, who sold their mother's chili and tamales at the county fair. Today, El Chico offers traditional Mexican-style dishes, including enchiladas, quesadillas, and, of course, margaritas.
From the cheesy biscuits at Red Lobster to the amazing sauces at Buffalo Wild Wings, it's always tempting to go out for a delicious treat at one of the numerous chain and franchise restaurants dotting the landscape. But eating out at restaurants all the time can be a costly proposition. Not to mention the fact that, at restaurants, you have no portion control, and can't alter the recipes, ingredients or style of cooking to suit your own taste.
Making El Chico Cafe menu items in your home gives you all of these options, while saving you money, and providing the same great diversity and taste that you'd find at your favorite casual dining spot. This list collections the best copycat El Chico Cafe recipes from around the Web.What are El Chico recipes? This list will answer that question.
Chile Con QuesoPhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BY
2 tablespoons vegetable oil- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.
1/2 onion, diced
1 tomato, diced
10 large roasted green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup shredded queso asadero (white Mexican cheese)
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1/4 cup milk
salt to taste
- Stir in the onion and tomato; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the green chile; cook for 2 minutes then stir in the cheese and milk.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, until the cheese has melted.Would you try this?
Chicken and Mushroom FajitasPhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil, divided- In large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon (15 mL) of the oil.
1 Cup Red, Green, and Yellow Pepper Strips
1/2 Cup Celery, sliced
1 Red Onion, thinly sliced
4 Cups Ontario Mushrooms, sliced
1 Pound Chicken Breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into strips
1/2 Teaspoon Chili Powder
8 Large Soft Flour Tortillas, heated
Grated Cheese, your choice
- Saute peppers, celery and onion 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently; set aside; keep warm.
- Add remaining oil to skillet.
- Coat chicken with seasonings; saute, stirring 6 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Return mushroom mixture to skillet; toss gently with chicken to mix.
- Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of the mushroom, chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; roll up.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.Would you try this?
Shrimp EnchiladasPhoto: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation License
5 tablespoons olive oil- In a mixing bowl, combine 4 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, ginger, hot sauce, and shrimp.
2 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
16 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, without tails
4 (8 inch) flour tortillas
3/4 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey cheese blend
2 cups fresh salsa
- Coat shrimp well with mixture, and marinate 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease a 9 inch glass pie dish with the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Fill flour tortillas with marinated shrimp, cheese blend and salsa.
- Fold tortillas into a roll and place in the greased pie dish.
- Spread a thin layer of salsa on top of the tortillas.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes or until shrimp are pink.Would you try this?
Chicken Monterrey DinnerPhoto: Metaweb / CC-BY
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat, and lightly oil grate.
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
ground black pepper to taste
seasoning salt to taste
2 teaspoons dried parsley
- Dip chicken in lemon juice, and sprinkle with the onion powder, ground black pepper, seasoning salt and parsley.
- Discard any remaining lemon juice.
- Cook on the prepared grill 10 to 15 minutes per side, or until no longer pink and juices run clear.Would you try this?