22 Famous Actors Who Were Entirely Cut Out Of Movies
It's not unusual for no-name actors to have their scenes cut from major motion pictures; it happens for a variety of reasons: sometimes, the scene is deemed unnecessary, whereas other times, the script calls for a last minute rewrite. So, if you've ever wondered if it's just starving actors that get their scenes cut, it turns out the answer is no.There have been countless instances of some of the most famous actors of our time winding up on the deleted scenes reel of some of the best (and worst) movies of recent years. Below, are 20 instances of famous actors whose scenes were deleted from movies.
- Photo: s_bukley/Shutterstock / Warner BrothersIn an effort to cut down 2016's Batman v Superman to a (still lengthy) two-and-a-half hours, director Zack Snyder had to cut large parts of his epic superhero film - including Jena Malone's entire role. When news of her casting first broke in 2015, it caused quite a stir as fans tried to figure out if she would be playing an iconic hero like Batgirl or Robin. Theatergoers may never know... unless they get the extended, R-rated director's cut on DVD, which features scrapped scenes and Malone's role. Although Snyder says she is neither Batgirl or Robin.
- Age: 38
- Birthplace: Lake Tahoe, Nevada, USA
- Photo: Columbia PicturesKevin Costner was cast as the dead character, Alex, in The Big Chill, but all of the scenes that he shot are absent from the final version of the feature.
- Age: 68
- Birthplace: Lynwood, California, USA
- Photo: Universal PicturesUma Thurman taped scenes for the gritty Oliver Stone drama Savages. She was originally set to portray the mother of Blake Lively's character, but her part was eventually eliminated from the film.
- Age: 53
- Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- Andy Garcia was cast as Michelle Pfeiffer's love interest in Dangerous Minds, but the scene was deemed totally unnecessary to the film.
- Age: 67
- Birthplace: La Havana, Cuba
- Photo: Warner Brothers
The "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" actress was cast in the 1988 Chevy Chase film Funny Farm, but all of her scenes were cut from the final draft.
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Warner BrothersThe late, great James Gandolfini was scheduled to appear in Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, but his scenes were ultimately removed from the picture. The "Sopranos" star was cast to play a love interest to Sandra Bullock's character, but the scenes never saw the light of day.
- Age: Dec. at 51 (1961-2013)
- Birthplace: Westwood, New Jersey, United States of America