List of the most popular artists from Haiti, listed alphabetically with photos when available. For centuries artists have been among the world's most important people, helping chronicle history and keep us entertained with one of the earliest forms of entertainment. You might also be interested in famous artists from Zimbabwe and famous Harlem Renaissance artists. Whether they're known for painting, sculpting, etching or drawing, the famous Haitian artists on this list have kept that tradition alive by creating renowned pieces of art that have been praised around the world. You can find useful information below about these notable Haitian artists, such as when they were born and where their place of birth was.
Examples include Préfète Duffaut and Edouard Duval-Carrié.
This list answers the questions, "Which famous artists are from Haiti?" and "Who are the most well-known Haitian artists?"For further information on these historic Haitian artists, click on their names. If you're a fine art lover use this list of celebrated Haitian artists to discover some new paintings that you will enjoy.
Frankétienne (born Franck Étienne on April 12, 1936 in Ravine-Sèche, Haiti) is a Haitian writer, poet, playwright, painter, musician, activist and intellectual. He is recognized as one of Haiti's ...more
- Birthplace: Haiti
- Nationality: Haiti
- Edouard Duval-Carrié (born 1954) is a Haitian-born American painter and sculptor.
- Petion Savain (15 February 1906 – 1973) was a prolific Haitian artist and writer. Savain was born in Port-au-Prince and studied at the Haitian School of Agronomy from which received a degree in law. ...more
- Préfète Duffaut (1 January 1923 – 6 October 2012) was a Haitian painter.
- Alexandre Grégoire (August 29, 1922 – July 28, 2001) was a Haitian painter who typically depicted scenes of Vodou, daily life, and historical events in the naïve style. Born in Jacmel, Grégoire was ...more
- Jean-Claude "Tiga" Garoute (December 9, 1935 – December 14, 2006) was a Haitian painter and sculptor. Born in Jérémie, Garoute co-founded a museum of ceramic art in Haiti named Poto-Mitan. An ...more
- Jacqueline Nesti Joseph, (born 1932) is a Haitian painter from Port-au-Prince. During a career of over 50 years, Joseph has had exhibitions all over the world including the Solomon R. Guggenheim ...more
- Gesner Abelard, (alternately Gesnerr) (born 22 February 1922) is a Haitian painter and sculptor. Born in Port-au-Prince, Abelard began life as a mechanic, then studied painting and sculpture at the ...more
- Luckner Lazard or Lucner Lazard (July 7, 1928 – May 15, 1998) was a Haitian-born painter and sculptor. Born in Port-au-Prince, Lazard studied for five years at the Centre d'Art before receiving a ...more
- Ludovic Booz (16 June 1940 – 2 February 2015) was a Haitian painter and sculptor. Born in Aquin, Booz sculpted bronze busts of several Haitian presidents. His work has been exhibited in France, ...more
- Philippe Dodard (born 1954) is a Haitian graphic artist and painter. Born in Port-au-Prince, Dodard worked as an advertising illustrator. His works have been exhibited throughout Europe and the ...more
- Jean-René Jérôme (1942–1991) was a Haitian painter and considered one of Haiti's greatest artists. Born in Petit-Goâve on March 17, 1942, Jean-René Jérôme moved to Port-Au-Prince where he attended ...more
- Antonio Joseph is the name of: Antonio Joseph (artist) (1921–2016), Haitian artist Antonio Joseph (politician) (1846–1910), Delegate from the Territory of New Mexico
- Ghislaine Fortuney Lamothe, also known as Gizou Lamothe, (born 1935) is a Haitian painter and sculptor. She is the mother of Haitian Prime Minister Laurent Lamothe.Born Ghislaine Fortuney in ...more
- Marie-José Nadal-Gardère (born 1931) is a Haitian painter and sculptor. Born in Port-au-Prince, Nadal-Gardère studied in France and later Canada, where she learned ceramics and metal sculpting. Her ...more
- Levoy Exil (born 1944), is a master Haitian artist and painter; he is one of the main contributors to the Saint Soleil art movement. Exil's paintings are mystical and abstract and often depict ...more
- Laurent Casimir was a Haitian artist. Casimir moved to Port-au-Prince in the late 1940s and is here presented to the Centre d'Art in 1947 by his friend, the painter Dieudonné Cedor. From 1950 to 1956 ...more