List of the most popular artists from Nigeria, listed alphabetically with photos when available. For centuries artists have been among the world's most important people, helping chronicle history and keep us entertained with one of the earliest forms of entertainment. You might also be interested in famous Nigerian playwrights and popular actors from Nigeria. Whether they're known for painting, sculpting, etching or drawing, the famous Nigerian artists on this list have kept that tradition alive by creating renowned pieces of art that have been praised around the world. You can find useful information below about these notable Nigerian artists, such as when they were born and where their place of birth was.
Artists on this list include Keziah Jones and Twins Seven Seven.
This list answers the questions, "Which famous artists are from Nigeria?" and "Who are the most well-known Nigerian artists?"For further information on these historic Nigerian artists, click on their names. If you're a fine art lover use this list of celebrated Nigerian artists to discover some new paintings that you will enjoy.
- Keziah Jones (born Olufemi Sanyaolu on 10 January 1968) is a Nigerian singer-songwriter and guitarist. He describes his musical style as "Blufunk", which is a fusion between raw blues elements and ...more
Art Forms: PaintingTwins Seven Seven, born Omoba Taiwo Olaniyi Oyewale-Toyeje Oyelale Osuntoki (3 May 1944 – 16 June 2011) in Ogidi, Kogi State, Nigeria, was a Nigerian painter, sculptor and musician. He was an ...more
- Chinwe Ifeoma Chukwuogo-Roy MBE (2 May 1952 − 17 December 2012) was a visual artist who was born in Awka (Oka), Anambra state, Nigeria, but spent much of her young life in Ikom on the Cameroon ...more
Birthplace: Onitsha, Nigeria
Art Forms: Sculpture, PaintingOdinigwe Benedict Chukwukadibia Enwonwu MBE (14 July 1917 – 5 February 1994), better known as Ben Enwonwu, was a Nigerian painter and sculptor. Arguably the most influential African artist of the ...more
- Michael Akhaine Osebhajimete Omoighe (born October 11, 1958) is a Nigerian painter, curator, art critic and teacher of art. He lives in Lagos, Nigeria. Omoighe studied at Yaba College of Technology ...more
Bruce OnobrakpeyaBruce Obomeyoma Onobrakpeya is a Nigerian printmaker, painter and sculptor. He has exhibited at the Tate Modern in London, the National Museum of African Art of the Smithsonian Institution in ...more
- Chief Jimoh Buraimoh (born 1943, as Jimoh Adetunji Buraimoh) is a Nigerian painter and artist. Chief Buraimoh is one of the most influential artists to emerge from the 1960s workshops conducted by ...more
- Christopher Uchefuna Okeke (30 April 1933 – 5 January 2016), known as Uche Okeke, was a contemporary Nigerian artist. ...more
- Ada Udechukwu (born 1960) is a Nigerian artist and poet associated with the Nsukka group. ...more
- Felix Idubor (1928–1991) was a Nigerian sculptor from Benin City, an African city with a rich history of artistic excellence. He was part of a young group of artists in the 1950s and 1960s who raised ...more
Obiora UdechukwuObiora Udechukwu (born 1946) is a Nigerian painter and poet. ...more
Tayo AdenaikeTayo Adenaike was born in 1954 and he is currently living in Nigeria, he is a Nigerian painter. A native of Idanre, Adenaike is of Yoruba parentage. In 1967 he was first introduced to formal ...more
- Aina Onabolu (1882–1963) was a pioneering Nigerian modern arts teacher and painter who was an important figure in the introduction of arts into the curriculum of secondary schools in the country. He ...more
Demas NwokoDemas Nwoko (born 1935) is a Nigerian artist, protean designer, architect and master builder. As an artist, he strives to incorporate modern techniques in architecture and stage design to enunciate ...more
Chike AniakorChike Aniakor (born 1939) is a Nigerian painter. A native of Abatete, Aniakor received his first artistic training at Ahmadu Bello University, receiving his master's degree in 1974. He received a ...more
- Yusuf Grillo (born 1934) is a contemporary Nigerian artist known for his inventive works and the prominence of the color blue in many of his paintings. He was president of the Society of Nigerian ...more