List of the most popular authors from Afghanistan, listed alphabetically with photos when available. For centuries authors have been among the world's most important people, helping chronicle history and keep us entertained with one of the earliest forms of storytelling. Whether they're known for fiction, non-fiction, poetry or even technical writing, the famous Afghan authors on this list have kept that tradition alive by writing renowned works that have been praised around the world. You can find useful information below about these notable Afghan writers, such as when they were born and where their place of birth was.
List features authors like Nadia Anjuman, Raziq Faani.
This list answers the questions, "Which famous authors are from Afghanistan?" and "Who are the best Afghan authors?"For further information on these historic Afghan authors, click on their names. If you're a bookworm then use this list of celebrated Afghan authors to discover some new books that you will enjoy reading.
- Abdur Rahmān Mohmand (1632–1706) (Pashto: عبدالرحمان بابا), or Rahmān Bābā (Pashto: رحمان بابا), was a renowned Pashtun Sufi Dervish and poet from Peshawar in the Mughal Empire (modern-day Khyber ...more
Birthplace: Vakhsh, Tajikistan
Nationality: TajikistanJalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī (Persian: جلالالدین محمد رومی), also known as Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Balkhī (جلالالدین محمد بلخى), Mevlânâ/Mawlānā (مولانا, "our master"), Mevlevî/Mawlawī (مولوی, "my ...more
Birthplace: Herat, Afghanistan
Nationality: AfghanistanMīr 'Alisher Navaiy (9 February 1441 – 3 January 1501), also known as Nizām-al-Din ʿAlisher Herawī (Chagatai-Turkic/Persian: نظامالدین علیشیر نوایی) was a Chagatai Turkic poet, writer, ...more
Birthplace: Kabul, Afghanistan
Nationality: Afghanistan, United States of AmericaKhaled Hosseini (Persian: خالد حسینی [ˈxɒled hoˈsejni]; ; born March 4, 1965) is an Afghan-American novelist and physician. After graduating from college, he worked as a doctor in California, a ...more
Birthplace: Kabul, Afghanistan
Nationality: Afghanistan, FranceAtiq Rahimi (Persian: عتیق رحیمی) (born 26 February 1962 in Kabul) is a French-Afghan writer and filmmaker. ...more
- Sardar Mahmud Beg Tarzi (Pashto: محمود طرزۍ, Dari: محمود بیگ طرزی; August 23, 1865 – November 22, 1933) was a politician and one of Afghanistan's greatest intellectuals. He is known as the father of ...more
- Nadia Anjuman (Persian: نادیا انجمن; December 27, 1980 – November 4, 2005) was a poet from Afghanistan. ...more
- Ustad Jalil Zaland (Pashto: جلیل ځلاند, Persian: جلیل زلاند) (also spelled as Jalil Zoland and Ustad Zoland; Persian: استاد زولاند or استاد زلاند) is a veteran singer of Afghanistan's golden ...more
- Raziq Faani (Persian: رازق فانی) was a renowned Afghan poet and novelist from the city Kabul. He published more than ten volumes of poetry and novels in Persian. ...more
- Dr. Abdul Hamid Bahij, is an Afghan medical doctor, writer, translator and dictionary writer. ...more
- Sulaiman Layeq (Pashto: سليمان لايق, sometimes also Romanised as Laeq or Laiq) (born 12 October 1930) is an Afghan politician, ideologue and poet. ...more
- Parween Pazhwak (born in 1967 in Kabul) is an Afghan artist from Afghanistan and a modern poet and writer of the Persian language.Parween was born to the Pazhwak literary and political family, her ...more
- Wasef Bakhtari (Persian: استاد واصف باختری) (born 1942 in Balkh, Afghanistan) is an Afghan poet, literary figure and intellectual. ...more
Nationality: AfghanistanSayed Askar Mousavi (Dari: سید عسکر موسوی) is an ethnic Hazara writer and novelist from Afghanistan. He is the author of The Hazaras of Afghanistan published on January 29, 2009 by Cambridge ...more
- Zalmai Araa (Dari: زلمی آرا) (also spelled as Zalmay Araa) is an Afghan singer and comedian. ...more
- Abdul Hameed masho gagar (Pashto: عبدالحميد ماشوخېل - also known as Abdul Hamid Baba), was a Pashtun poet and Sufi figure. ...more