List of notable or famous bankers from India, with bios and photos, including the top bankers born in India and even some popular bankers who immigrated to India. If you're trying to find out the names of famous Indian bankers then this list is the perfect resource for you. These bankers are among the most prominent in their field, and information about each well-known banker from India is included when available.
Everything from Manmohan Singh to D.R. Mehta is included on this list.
This historic bankers from India list can help answer the questions "Who are some Indian bankers of note?" and "Who are the most famous bankers from India?" These prominent bankers of India may or may not be currently alive, but what they all have in common is that they're all respected Indian bankers.Use this list of renowned Indian bankers to discover some new bankers that you aren't familiar with. Don't forget to share this list by clicking one of the social media icons at the top or bottom of the page.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainAgha Hasan Abedi (Urdu: آغا حسَن عابِدی ), (14 May 1922 – 5 August 1995) was a Pakistani banker and philanthropist. Abedi founded Bank of Credit and Commerce International (BCCI) in 1972.Abedi underwent a heart transplant operation in 1988, and died of a heart attack on 5 August 1995 in Karachi.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 73 (1922-1995)
- Birthplace: Lucknow, India
- Ajaypal "Ajay" Singh Banga (born 1960) is an Indian American business executive. He is the current president and chief executive officer of Mastercard. Mastercard announced on April 12, 2010 that Banga, previously Mastercard's president and chief operating officer, had been named the company's president and chief executive officer, effective July 1, 2010. The company also announced that Banga would become a member of the Board of Directors, effective immediately.Banga succeeded Robert W. Selander, who had been Mastercard's CEO since March 1997.In February 2015, President Barack Obama appointed Banga to serve as a Member of the President's Advisory Committee for Trade Policy and... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 60
- Birthplace: Pune, India
- Amitav Ghosh is an Indian banker. He served for 20 days from 15 January – 4 February 1985, as the 16th governor of the Reserve Bank of India. His term was the shortest ever served by any Reserve Bank of India governor.... more on Wikipedia
- Ardeshir Darabshaw Shroff (4 June 1899 – 27 October 1965) was an eminent industrialist, banker and economist of India. In 1944, Shroff served as a non-official (since India was not yet independent) delegate at the United Nations "Bretton Woods Conference" on post-war monetary and financial systems. In the same year, and with seven other leading industrialists, Shroff co-authored the Bombay Plan, which was a set of proposals for the development of the post-independence Indian economy. In the 1950s, Shroff was founder-director of the Investment Corporation of India and company chairman of Bank of India and the New India Assurance Company Limited. In 1954, Shroff co-founded the Forum of Free... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 66 (1899-1965)