List of famous blind people, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. They say that if you lose one sense, the other four become stronger. Looking at the list of famous blind people it would seem that the old adage is true. Many famous blind people have become successful and influential musicians. Several others have become successful athletes, politicians and actors.
Who is the most famous blind person? Stevie Wonder tops our list. The “I Just Called To Say I Love You” singer has been blind since shortly after his birth, but that hasn't stopped him from becoming one of the most successful musicians of all time. Wonder was a child prodigy and he had his first hit song at age 13. Since then he has had over 50 top 40 singles and he has influenced hundreds of musicians. Other famous musicians who are also blind include singers like Ray Charles, Andrea Bocelli and Jose Feliciano.
Several blind people have also had great careers in politics. New York Governor David Paterson became blind at age three after having an ear infection. Politician Thomas Gore became blind at a young age, but he remained determined to have a career in politics.
Do you think that being blind helped these famous men and women find even more success?
David PatersonNew York Governor David Paterson got an ear infection at age 3 that left him legally blind.
- Age: 66
- Birthplace: New York City, New York-White Plains-Wayne, NY-NJ Metropolitan Division, Area code 917, Contiguous United States
Louis BraillePhoto: Wikimedia Commons / Public DomainLouis Braille was blinded in an accident when he was a child.
- Age: Dec. at 43 (1809-1852)
- Birthplace: Île-de-France, Europe, Metropolitan France, France, Seine-et-Marne
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain"A Brave New World" author Aldous Huxley was blinded by an illness was he was a child. He suffered through blindness for years, but eventually regained some sight.
- Age: Dec. at 69 (1894-1963)
- Birthplace: Godalming, England
Casey Harris, keyboardist for the band X Ambassadors ("Renegade"), was born blind. His brother, the band's frontman, Sam Harris, said: "Casey and I have the same tattoo. It's just a design I came up with - I'm not in the Illuminati or anything. It is a triangle with an eye in it, but the open eye is me, the closed eye is my brother. My brother's been blind since he was born, so that's played a really big role in how I have developed into a man, a human being, and it's played a huge role in how we've become a band."Source