List of famous blind people, loosely ranked by fame and popularity. They say that if you lose one sense, the other four become stronger. Looking at the list of famous blind people it would seem that the old adage is true. Many famous blind people have become successful and influential musicians. Several others have become successful athletes, politicians and actors.
Who is the most famous blind person? Stevie Wonder tops our list. The “I Just Called To Say I Love You” singer has been blind since shortly after his birth, but that hasn't stopped him from becoming one of the most successful musicians of all time. Wonder was a child prodigy and he had his first hit song at age 13. Since then he has had over 50 top 40 singles and he has influenced hundreds of musicians. Other famous musicians who are also blind include singers like Ray Charles, Andrea Bocelli and Jose Feliciano.
Several blind people have also had great careers in politics. New York Governor David Paterson became blind at age three after having an ear infection. Politician Thomas Gore became blind at a young age, but he remained determined to have a career in politics.
Do you think that being blind helped these famous men and women find even more success?
- Photo: Maurice Seymour / Wikimedia Commons / Public Domain"What'd I Say" singer Ray Charles started to go blind at age five. By seven, he was completely blind.
- Age: Dec. at 74 (1930-2004)
- Birthplace: Albany, Georgia, United States of America
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / Public DomainAuthor Helen Keller fell ill when she was just 19 months old. She became both blind and deaf after the illness.
- Age: Dec. at 87 (1880-1968)
- Birthplace: Tuscumbia,United States of America,Alabama,Colbert County
- Singer Andrea Bocelli became blind after a sports accident when he was 12.
- Age: 62
- Birthplace: Lajatico, Italy
- "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" singer Steve Wonder has been blind since shortly after his birth.
- Age: 70
- Birthplace: Saginaw, Michigan, United States of America