Given the Cherokee people represent one of the largest Native American ethnic groups, it's no surprise there are so many Cherokee celebrities. Here, you'll find a list of some famous folks with indigenous ancestors. These notable stars take great pride in their heritage.
When it comes to celebrities who are Cherokee, ancestry varies greatly. Some singers and actors have direct links to the tribe via their parents. However, occasionally a celebrity causes controversy over the questionable nature of their heritage. Cher tweeted wildly to defend herself, for example, when her song "Half Breed" was criticized due to her disputable Cherokee roots.
Nevertheless, all these celebs strive to represent indigenous people in Hollywood and elsewhere. If you're interested in celebrity ancestry, browse this list!
- Photo: Stuart C. Wilson/Stringer / Getty Images Entertainment/Getty Images Europe
Cameron Diaz is part Cherokee as her mother is German-Cherokee.
- Age: 43
- Birthplace: San Diego, California, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair use
Quentin Tarantino's mother is Cherokee and Irish.
- Age: 57
- Birthplace: Tennessee, Knoxville, Great Smoky Mountains, United States of America, United States
Jimi Hendrix's grandmother was Cherokee.
- Age: Dec. at 28 (1942-1970)
- Birthplace: Washington, Area code 206, Western United States, Northwestern United States, United States of America
- Photo: Jason Davis/Stringer / Getty Images Entertainment
Willie Nelson is part Cherokee and he has been known to lend his celebrity to Native American causes by headlining benefit concerts.
- Age: 87
- Birthplace: Abbott, Texas, United States of America