List of notable people who converted to Judaism, with photos. These former Christians who became Jewish converts switched their religion for many different reasons. Some of these converted Jews did so out of deep religious curiosity, belief, and research, others converted for marriage or other personal reasons. This list of famous people who decided converting to Judaism was right for them includes both historical figures and current famous figures. Among the well-known "new Jews" of recent times are Marilyn Monroe, Ivanka Trump, Elizabeth Banks, Zooey Deschanel, Elizabeth Taylor, and Sammy Davis, Jr.
Which famous people converted to become Jewish? The conversion process is not simple, so these famous actors, athletes, musicians, and celebrities went through a lot to call themselves Hebrews.
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYMarilyn Monroe converted from Pentecostal to Judaism when she married Arthur Miller in 1956. The couple divorced in 1961 and she quickly lost interest in the faith.Marilyn Monroe (born Norma Jeane Mortenson; June 1, 1926 – August 4, 1962) was an American actress, model, and singer. Famous for playing comic "blonde bombshell" characters, she became one of the most popular sex symbols of the 1950s and early 1960s and was emblematic of the era's changing attitudes towards sexuality. Although she was a top-billed actress for only a decade, her films grossed $200 million (equivalent to $2 billion in 2018) by the time of her unexpected death in 1962. More than half a century later, she continues to be a major popular culture icon.Born and raised in Los Angeles, Monroe spent most of her childhood in foster homes and an orphanage and married at the age of 16.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Died at 36 (1926-1962)
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseIvanka Trump was raised as a Presbyterianism. She converted to Judaism in 2009 upon marrying Jared Kushner. The couple has two children together.Ivana Marie "Ivanka" Trump (), also known as Yael Kushner (Hebrew: יָעֵל, lit. ibex; born October 30, 1981) is an American businesswoman, fashion designer, author, and reality television personality who is currently an advisor to the president of the United States. She is the daughter and second child of President Donald Trump and his first wife, Ivana. She is the first Jewish member of a first family, having converted before marrying her Jewish husband, Jared Kushner.She is a fourth generation businessperson who followed in the footsteps of her great-grandmother Elizabeth, grandfather Fred, and father, serving for a time as an executive vice president of the family-owned Trump... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 38
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, USA
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYElizabeth Banks studied the Jewish faith upon marrying Max Handelman in 2003. Though she isn't officially converted, she says, "I feel like I'm as Jewish as I'm ever going to be." Banks and Handelman have two children together.
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Pittsfield, Massachusetts, United States of America
- Photo: uploaded by lottermanElizabeth Taylor was raised as a Christian Scientist. She converted to Judaism when she was 27 years old. She supported Jewish causes throughout her life.Dame Elizabeth Rosemond Taylor (February 27, 1932 – March 23, 2011) was a British-American actress, businesswoman, and humanitarian. She began her career as a child actress in the early 1940s, and was one of the most popular stars of classical Hollywood cinema in the 1950s. She continued her career successfully into the 1960s, and remained a well-known public figure for the rest of her life. In 1999, the American Film Institute named her the seventh-greatest female screen legend. Born in London to socially prominent American parents, Taylor moved with her family to Los Angeles in 1939. She made her acting debut in a minor role in the Universal Pictures film There's One Born Every Minute... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Died at 79 (1932-2011)
- Birthplace: United Kingdom