List of famous costume designers, listed alphabetically with photos when available. Hard working costume designers are an integral part of every film set. An often under appreciated job, any film would not be able to hit the big screen without the help of a good costume designer. This list includes examples of famous or notable costume designers from some of the best films ever to hit the silver screen. Whereas most people ask the question, "What is a costume designer?" this list informs the reader as to who some of the best costume designers are, as well as information like their year of birth and more.
If you want to answer the questions, "Who are the most famous costume designers?" and "Who are the best costume designers?" then this list is the perfect resource for you.The list you're viewing is made up of different people like Karl Lagerfeld and Mitchell Leisen.
- 1Anna Biedrzycka Sheppard is a Polish costume designer. She graduated with architecture from... more on Wikipedia
- 2Christine Laurent is a film director, costume designer, actress and screenwriter.
- 3Ellen Mirojnick is a costume designer.
- 4Helen Rose (February 2, 1904 – November 9, 1985) was an American costume designer and clothing... more on Wikipedia
- 5Irene Maud Lentz (December 8, 1901 – November 15, 1962) also known mononymously and... more on Wikipedia
- 6Irene Sharaff (January 23, 1910 – August 10, 1993) was an American costume designer for stage... more on Wikipedia
- 7Jenna Wright is an actress.
- 8Jo Katsaras is a film costume designer.
- 9Karl Otto Lagerfeld (German: [kaɐ̯l ˈlaːɡɐˌfɛlt]; 10 September 1933 – 19 February 2019) was a... more on Wikipedia
- 10Kate Harrington is a film costume designer.
Kate HarringtonAge: 59
- 11Mitchell Leisen (October 6, 1898 – October 28, 1972) was an American director, art director,... more on Wikipedia
- 12Nina Schelich is a costume designer.
- 13Paul Tazewell is an American costume designer for the theatre, dance, and opera and... more on Wikipedia
- 14Renié Conley (July 31, 1901 − June 12, 1992) was a prominent Hollywood costume designer.
- 15Rita Ryack is a costume designer who was nominated for an Academy award during the 73rd... more on Wikipedia
- 16Sandy Powell (born 7 April 1960) is a British costume designer. She has been nominated for... more on Wikipedia
- 17Travis Banton (August 18, 1894 – February 2, 1958) was an American costume designer. He is... more on Wikipedia
- 18Walter Plunkett (June 5, 1902 in Oakland, California – March 8, 1982) was a prolific costume... more on Wikipedia
- 19Wendy Cork is a costume designer.
- 20William “Bill” Travilla (March 22, 1920 – November 2, 1990), known professionally as Travilla,... more on Wikipedia
- 21Mikael Sharafyan is a costume designer and an actor.
Mikael SharafyanAge: age 34
- 22Colleen Atwood (born September 25, 1948) is an American costume designer. Atwood has been... more on Wikipedia
- 23Mary Zophres is an American costume designer who has worked in the film industry since 1989.... more on Wikipedia
- 24James Acheson (born 13 March 1946) is a British costume designer. Born in Leicester, England,... more on Wikipedia
- 25Edith Head (October 28, 1897 – October 24, 1981) was an American costume designer who won a... more on Wikipedia