List of famous costume designers, listed alphabetically with photos when available. Hard working costume designers are an integral part of every film set. An often under appreciated job, any film would not be able to hit the big screen without the help of a good costume designer. This list includes examples of famous or notable costume designers from some of the best films ever to hit the silver screen. Whereas most people ask the question, "What is a costume designer?" this list informs the reader as to who some of the best costume designers are, as well as information like their year of birth and more.
If you want to answer the questions, "Who are the most famous costume designers?" and "Who are the best costume designers?" then this list is the perfect resource for you.The list you're viewing is made up of different people like Karl Lagerfeld and Mitchell Leisen.
- Anna Biedrzycka Sheppard is a Polish costume designer. She graduated with architecture from the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw and now lives in London. A sister to fellow costume designer Magdalena... more
- Christine Laurent is a film director, costume designer, actress and screenwriter.... more
- Ellen Mirojnick is a costume designer.... more
- Helen Rose (February 2, 1904 – November 9, 1985) was an American costume designer and clothing designer who spent the bulk of her career with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.... more
- Irene Maud Lentz (December 8, 1901 – November 15, 1962) also known mononymously and professionally as Irene, was an American fashion designer and costume designer. Her work as a clothing designer in... more
- Irene Sharaff (January 23, 1910 – August 10, 1993) was an American costume designer for stage and screen. Her work earned her five Academy Awards and a Tony Award.... more
Jenna WrightJenna Wright is an actress....
- Jo Katsaras is a film costume designer.... more
- Karl Otto Lagerfeld (German: [kaɐ̯l ˈlaːɡɐˌfɛlt]; 10 September 1933 – 19 February 2019) was a German creative director, fashion designer, artist, photographer, and caricaturist who lived in Paris.He... more
Kate HarringtonAge: 59Kate Harrington is a film costume designer....
- Mitchell Leisen (October 6, 1898 – October 28, 1972) was an American director, art director, and costume designer.... more
Nina SchelichNina Schelich is a costume designer....
- Paul Tazewell is an American costume designer for the theatre, dance, and opera and television. He received the 2016 Tony Award for best costume design for Hamilton. In 2016, he and his design team... more
- Renié Conley (July 31, 1901 − June 12, 1992) was a prominent Hollywood costume designer.... more
- Rita Ryack is a costume designer who was nominated for an Academy award during the 73rd Academy Awards for Best Costumes. This was for How the Grinch Stole Christmas. She was also nominated for a... more
- Sandy Powell (born 7 April 1960) is a British costume designer. She has been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Costume Design fourteen times, winning three awards for the films Shakespeare in... more
- Travis Banton (August 18, 1894 – February 2, 1958) was an American costume designer. He is perhaps best known for his long collaboration with actress Marlene Dietrich and director Josef von... more
- Walter Plunkett (June 5, 1902 in Oakland, California – March 8, 1982) was a prolific costume designer who worked on more than 150 projects throughout his career in the Hollywood film industry. Born... more
Wendy CorkWendy Cork is a costume designer....
- William “Bill” Travilla (March 22, 1920 – November 2, 1990), known professionally as Travilla, was an American costume designer for theatre, film, and television. He is perhaps best known for... more
Mikael SharafyanAge: age 34Mikael Sharafyan is a costume designer and an actor....
- Colleen Atwood (born September 25, 1948) is an American costume designer. Atwood has been nominated for the Academy Award for Best Costume Design twelve times, winning four times - for the films... more
- Mary Zophres is an American costume designer who has worked in the film industry since 1989. She was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Costume Design for the 2010 film True Grit. She was also... more
- James Acheson (born 13 March 1946) is a British costume designer. Born in Leicester, England, he was educated at Colchester Royal Grammar School and studied at Wimbledon School of Art. He has... more
- Edith Head (October 28, 1897 – October 24, 1981) was an American costume designer who won a record eight Academy Awards for Best Costume Design, starting with The Heiress (1949) and ending with The... more