Oscars, Grammys, Pulitzers, Nobel Prizes... What do these prestigious awards have in common? Cats don't care about them. At all. And they don't care about the people who won them, either. This is a gallery of photographs of famous actors, directors, musicians, singers, writers, poets, and artists with cats. They all also happen to be dead (the people, not the cats [though most of the cats are probably dead, too]). Why oh why would a famous person want to hang out with a cat? Well, for one, a cat will never kowtow to the rich and famous just because of his status. While a celebrity may never be quite sure who his true human friends are, he can always be 100% certain where he stands with his cat. The cat only wants four things: to be fed, to be pet, to be played with, and to be immediately left alone when she tires of the interaction. For an acclaimed artist, performer, or thinker who may feel he must constantly be wary of users and hangers-on, a cat's forthrightness must be refreshing.
Oh, sure, cats are cute and soft and hilarious and occasionally cuddly. Otherwise, would Ernest Hemingway have kept dozens of them around his houses in Cuba and Key West? He wrote, "A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not." He killed himself, by the way. So did Kurt Cobain, who is also pictured on this list playing with a seemingly innocent kitten. And several of the other dead celebrities holding cats on this list died of drug overdoses, including Judy Garland, Keith Moon, Anthony Bourdain, and Marilyn Monroe. Unfortunate coincidental accidents, or last-resort desperation after long years spent being ignored and tortured by cats? Dead men tell no tales, and neither do guilty cats.
Why a gallery of only dead people? It's a bit morbid. But these are also cool, old, mostly candid black and white photos of famous people, and it is fun to see mega-movie stars with their guards down. Some of these pictures were even taken in their own homes. There are also a few promo shots and even screen stills. What does it say about a person if his preferred pet is a cat? Are you surprised to see some of these famous cat people?
- With Tiffany, 1986. Freddie Mercury had several cats over the years, including Oscar, Goliath, Miko, Romeo, and Lily.Freddie Mercury (born Farrokh Bulsara; 5 September 1946 – 24 November 1991) was a British singer, songwriter, record producer, and lead vocalist of the rock band Queen. Regarded as one of the greatest lead singers in the history of rock music, he was known for his flamboyant stage persona and four-octave vocal range.Born in 1946 in Zanzibar to Parsi parents from India, he attended English-style boarding schools in India from the age of eight and returned to Zanzibar after secondary school. In 1964, his family fled the Zanzibar Revolution, moving to Middlesex, England. Having studied and written music for years, he formed Queen in 1970 with guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor. ...more
- Cause Of Death: AIDS, Pneumonia
- Nationality: Zanzibar, United Kingdom
Audrey HepburnPhoto: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYAudrey Hepburn (born Audrey Kathleen Ruston; 4 May 1929 – 20 January 1993) was a British actress and humanitarian. Recognised as a film and fashion icon, Hepburn was active during Hollywood's Golden Age. She was ranked by the American Film Institute as the third-greatest female screen legend in Golden Age Hollywood, and was inducted into the International Best Dressed List Hall of Fame. Born in Ixelles, Brussels, Hepburn spent her childhood between Belgium, England, and the Netherlands. In Amsterdam, she studied ballet with Sonia Gaskell. She moved to London in 1948, where she continued her ballet training with Marie Rambert. She began performing as a chorus girl in West End musical theatre ...more
- Cause Of Death: Appendix cancer
- Nationality: United Kingdom
- With Marcus, who was a gift from Elizabeth Taylor in 1955James Byron Dean (February 8, 1931 – September 30, 1955) was an American actor from Indiana. He is remembered as a cultural icon of teenage disillusionment and social estrangement, as expressed in the title of his most celebrated film, Rebel Without a Cause (1955), in which he starred as troubled teenager Jim Stark. The other two roles that defined his stardom were loner Cal Trask in East of Eden (1955) and surly ranch hand Jett Rink in Giant (1956). After his death in a car crash, Dean became the first actor to receive a posthumous Academy Award nomination for Best Actor, and remains the only actor to have had two posthumous acting nominations. In 1999, the American Film Institute ranked ...more
- Cause Of Death: Traffic collision
- Nationality: United States of America
- Kurt Donald Cobain (February 20, 1967 – April 5, 1994) was an American singer, songwriter, and musician, best known as the guitarist and frontman of the rock band Nirvana. He is remembered as one of the most iconic and influential rock musicians in the history of alternative music. Born in Aberdeen, Washington, Cobain formed the band Nirvana with Krist Novoselic and Aaron Burckhard in 1987 and established it as part of the Seattle music scene which later became known as grunge. After signing with major label DGC Records, Nirvana found success with "Smells Like Teen Spirit" from their second album Nevermind (1991). Following the success of Nevermind, Nirvana was labelled "the flagship band" ...more
- Cause Of Death: Suicide, Gunshot
- Nationality: United States of America