List of famous female astronauts, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female astronauts list contains the most prominent and top females known for being astronauts. There are thousand of females working as astronauts in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic astronauts have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a astronaut then the people below should give you inspiration.
List features Catherine Coleman, Marsha Ivins and more women astronauts, including Jessica Mier and Christina Koch, who conducted the first all-female spacewalk outside of the International Space Station in 2019.
While this isn't a list of all female astronauts, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female astronauts?" and "Who are the best female astronauts?"
- Karen LuJean Nyberg (born October 7, 1969) is an American mechanical engineer and NASA astronaut. Nyberg became the 50th woman in space on her first mission in 2008. Nyberg started her space career in 1991 and spent a total of 180 days in space in 2008 and 2013 (as a Mission Specialist on STS-124 and a Flight Engineer on Soyuz TMA-09M). ...more
- Age: 52
- Birthplace: Parkers Prairie, Minnesota
- Nancy Jan Davis (born Nancy Jan Smotherman, November 1, 1953) is a former American astronaut. A veteran of three space flights, Davis logged over 673 hours in space. She is now retired from NASA. ...more
- Age: 67
- Birthplace: Cocoa Beach, Florida
- Janet Lynn Kavandi, a native of Carthage, Missouri, (born July 17, 1959) is an American scientist and a NASA astronaut. She is a veteran of three Space Shuttle missions and has served as NASA's Deputy Chief of the Astronaut Office. She is currently the Center Director at the NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, Ohio. ...more
- Age: 62
- Birthplace: Springfield, Missouri
- Kathryn Ryan Cordell Thornton (born August 17, 1952 in Montgomery, Alabama) is an American scientist and a former NASA astronaut with over 975 hours in space, including 21 hours of extravehicular activity. She was the associate dean for graduate programs at the University of Virginia School of Engineering and Applied Science, currently a professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering. ...more
- Age: 69
- Birthplace: Montgomery, Alabama