List of famous female economists, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female economists list contains the most prominent and top females known for being economists. There are thousand of females working as economists in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic economists have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a economist then the people below should give you inspiration.
This list features Birgit Grodal, Kate Barker and more.While this isn't a list of all female economists, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female economists?" and "Who are the best female economists?"
- Photo: Paul Marotta / Getty ImagesAung San Suu Kyi (; Burmese: အောင်ဆန်းစုကြည်; MLCTS: aung hcan: cu. krany Burmese pronunciation: [àʊɴ sʰáɴ sṵ tɕì]; born 19 June 1945) is a Burmese politician, diplomat, author, and Nobel Peace Prize laureate (1991). She is the leader of the National League for Democracy and the first and incumbent State Counsellor, a position akin to a prime minister. She is also the first woman to serve as Minister for Foreign Affairs, for the President's Office, for Electric Power and Energy, and for Education. From 2012 to 2016 she was an MP for Kawhmu Township to the House of Representatives. The youngest daughter of Aung San, Father of the Nation of modern-day Myanmar, and Khin Kyi, Aung San Suu Kyi... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 75
- Birthplace: Yangon, Myanmar
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainYulia Volodymyrivna Tymoshenko (Ukrainian: Ю́лія Володи́мирівна Тимоше́нко, pronounced [ˈjulʲijɐ woɫoˈdɪmɪrʲiu̯nɐ tɪmoˈʃɛnko]; née Hrihyan (Грігян), 27 November 1960) is a Ukrainian politician. She is the leader of the All-Ukrainian Union "Fatherland" political party. She supports Ukraine's integration into the European Union and strongly opposes the membership of Ukraine in the Russia-led Eurasian Customs Union. She supports NATO membership for Ukraine. Tymoshenko co-led the Orange Revolution and was the first woman appointed Prime Minister of Ukraine, serving from 24 January to 8 September 2005, and again from 18 December 2007 to 4 March 2010. She placed third in Forbes magazine's list of... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 59
- Birthplace: Dnipropetrovsk, Ukraine
- Dilma Vana Rousseff (Brazilian Portuguese: [ˈdʒiwmɐ ˈvɐ̃nɐ ʁuˈsɛf(i)]; born 14 December 1947) is a Brazilian economist and politician who served as the 36th President of Brazil, holding the position from 2011 until her impeachment and removal from office on 31 August 2016. She was the first woman to hold the Brazilian presidency and had previously served as Chief of Staff to former president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva from 2005 to 2010.The daughter of a Bulgarian immigrant, Rousseff was raised in an upper middle class household in Belo Horizonte. She became a socialist in her youth and after the 1964 coup d'état joined left-wing and Marxist urban guerrilla groups that fought against the... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 72
- Birthplace: Belo Horizonte, Brazil
Ellen Johnson SirleafPhoto: Aktiv I Oslo.no / FlickrEllen Johnson Sirleaf (born 29 October 1938) is a Liberian politician who served as the 24th President of Liberia from 2006 to 2018. Sirleaf was the first elected female head of state in Africa. Ellen Eugenia Johnson was born in Monrovia to a Gola father and Kru-German mother. She was educated at the College of West Africa. She completed her education in the United States, where she studied at Madison Business College and Harvard University. She returned to Liberia to work in William Tolbert's government as Deputy Minister of Finance from 1971 to 1974. Later she worked again in the West, for the World Bank in the Caribbean and Latin America. Sirleaf returned to Liberia, where she was... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 81
- Birthplace: Monrovia, Liberia