List of famous female film directors, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female film directors list contains the most prominent and top females known for being film directors. There are thousand of females working as film directors in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic film directors have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a film director then the people below should give you inspiration.
List is made up of many different people, including Sarah Schulman and Judith Helfand.While this isn't a list of all female film directors, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female film directors?" and "Who are the best female film directors?"
- Photo: Michael Buckner/Staff / Getty Images EntertainmentGwyneth Kate Paltrow () (born September 27, 1972) is an American actress, singer, author, and businesswoman. She has won an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award, a Primetime Emmy Award and two Screen Actors Guild Awards. Her films have grossed US$3.2 billion at the U.S. box office and US$8.2 billion worldwide.Paltrow gained very early notice for her work in films such as Seven (1995), Emma (1996), Sliding Doors (1998), and A Perfect Murder (1998). She garnered wider critical acclaim for her performance as Viola De Lesseps in the historical romance film Shakespeare in Love (1998) which won her several awards, including the Academy Award for Best Actress. This was followed by roles in The... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 43
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, California, USA
- Photo: Jason Kempin/Staff / Getty Images EntertainmentDrew Blythe Barrymore (born February 22, 1975) is an American actress, producer, director, author, model and entrepreneur. She is a member of the Barrymore family of actors, and the granddaughter of John Barrymore. She achieved fame as a child actress with her role in E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982). She is the recipient of numerous accolades, including a Golden Globe, a Screen Actors Guild Award, and a BAFTA nomination. Following a highly publicized childhood marked by drug and alcohol abuse, Barrymore released an autobiography, Little Girl Lost, when she was 16 in 1991. She went on to appear in a string of successful films throughout the decade, including Poison Ivy (1992), Boys on the... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 45
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, Culver City, California, United States of America
- Lucy Liu (born December 2, 1968) is an American actress, voice actress, director, and artist who is known for playing the role of the vicious and ill-mannered Ling Woo in the television series Ally McBeal (1998–2002), the assertive assassin O-Ren Ishii in Kill Bill, and Joan Watson in the crime-drama series Elementary (2012–2019). Throughout her career, she has received two Screen Actors Guild Awards and has won the Seoul International Drama Award for Best Actress. She has been nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, and has received nominations for three People's Choice Awards and two Saturn Awards. Liu's film work includes starring in... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 51
- Birthplace: Jackson Heights, New York City, New York, United States of America
- Dianna Elise Agron (; born April 30, 1986) is an American actress, singer, and dancer. In 2006, Agron made her television debut as Jessica Grant on CSI: NY. From 2006 to 2007, Agron had recurring roles on Veronica Mars as Jenny Budosh, and Heroes as Debbie Marshall. In 2009, Agron was cast as Quinn Fabray on the Fox musical comedy-drama series Glee. Agron has appeared in the films The Hunters (2011), I Am Number Four (2011), The Family (2013), Zipper (2015), Bare (2015), and Novitiate (2017).... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 34
- Birthplace: Savannah, Georgia, United States of America