List of famous female illustrators, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female illustrators list contains the most prominent and top females known for being illustrators. There are thousand of females working as illustrators in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic illustrators have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a illustrator then the people below should give you inspiration.
List people include Regina Lukk-Toompere, Denise Fleming and more.While this isn't a list of all female illustrators, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female illustrators?" and "Who are the best female illustrators?"
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainBeatrix Potter (, US , 28 July 1866 – 22 December 1943) was an English writer, illustrator, natural scientist, and conservationist best known for her children's books featuring animals, such as those in The Tale of Peter Rabbit. Born into an upper-middle-class household, Potter was educated by governesses and grew up isolated from other children. She had numerous pets and spent holidays in Scotland and the Lake District, developing a love of landscape, flora, and fauna, all of which she closely observed and painted. Though Potter was typical of women of her generation in having limited opportunities for higher education, her study and watercolours of fungi led to her being widely respected... more
- Age: Dec. at 77 (1866-1943)
- Birthplace: Kensington, London, United Kingdom
- Jean Marzollo is a children's author and illustrator. Born in 1942, she has written over 100 books, including the best-selling, award-winning I SPY series for children, written completely in rhythm and rhyme. Marzollo was born and raised in Connecticut.... more
- Age: 79
- Birthplace: Manchester, Connecticut
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainBernarda Bryson Shahn (March 7, 1903 – December 13, 2004) was an American painter and lithographer. She also wrote and illustrated children's books including The Zoo of Zeus and Gilgamesh. The renowned artist Ben Shahn was her "life companion" and they married in 1969, shortly before his death.... more
- Age: Dec. at 101 (1903-2004)
- Birthplace: Athens, Ohio
- Clare Newberry was a writer and illustrator.... more
- Age: Dec. at 66 (1903-1970)
- Birthplace: Enterprise, Oregon