List of famous female novelists, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female novelists list contains the most prominent and top females known for being novelists. There are thousand of females working as novelists in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic novelists have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a novelist then the people below should give you inspiration.
List ranges from Shauna Singh Baldwin to Kathy Lette and more.While this isn't a list of all female novelists, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female novelists?" and "Who are the best female novelists?"
- Photo: Sunset Boulevard / Getty ImagesCarrie Frances Fisher (October 21, 1956 – December 27, 2016) was an American actress, writer, and comedian. Fisher is best known for playing Princess Leia in the Star Wars films, a role for which she was nominated for four Saturn Awards. Her other film credits include Shampoo (1975), The Blues Brothers (1980), Hannah and Her Sisters (1986), The 'Burbs (1989), When Harry Met Sally... (1989), Soapdish (1991), and The Women (2008). She was nominated twice for the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series for her performances on the television series 30 Rock and Catastrophe. She was posthumously made a Disney Legend in 2017, and in 2018 she was awarded a posthumous... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 63
- Birthplace: Los Angeles, USA, California, Beverly Hills
- Photo: Metaweb (FB)Ayn Rand (; born Alisa Zinovyevna Rosenbaum; February 2 [O.S. January 20] 1905 – March 6, 1982) was a Russian-American writer and philosopher. She is known for her two best-selling novels, The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged, and for developing a philosophical system she named Objectivism. Educated in Russia, she moved to the United States in 1926. She had a play produced on Broadway in 1935 and 1936. After two early novels that were initially unsuccessful, she achieved fame with her 1943 novel, The Fountainhead. In 1957, Rand published her best-known work, the novel Atlas Shrugged. Afterward, she turned to non-fiction to promote her philosophy, publishing her own periodicals and releasing... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 77 (1905-1982)
- Birthplace: Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Joanne Rowling ( "rolling"; born 31 July 1965), better known by her pen name J. K. Rowling, is a British novelist, screenwriter, producer, and philanthropist. She is best known for writing the Harry Potter fantasy series, which has won multiple awards and sold more than 500 million copies, becoming the best-selling book series in history. The Harry Potter books have also been the basis for the popular film series of the same name, over which Rowling had overall approval on the scripts and was a producer on the final films. She has also written under the pen name Robert Galbraith. Born in Yate, Gloucestershire, Rowling was working as a researcher and bilingual secretary for Amnesty... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 55
- Birthplace: Yate, United Kingdom
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainDanielle Fernandes Dominique Schuelein-Steel (born August 14, 1947) is an American writer, best known for her romance novels. She is the bestselling author alive and the fourth bestselling fiction author of all time, with over 800 million copies sold. She has written 179 books, including over 146 novels.Based in California for most of her career, Steel has produced several books a year, often juggling up to five projects at once. Despite "a resounding lack of critical acclaim" (Publishers Weekly), all her novels have been bestsellers, including those issued in hardback. Her formula is fairly consistent, often involving rich families facing a crisis, threatened by dark elements such as... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 73
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America