List of famous female nuns, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female nuns list contains the most prominent and top females known for being nuns. There are thousand of females working as nuns in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic nuns have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a nun then the people below should give you inspiration.
List features people like Mary MacKillop, Hildegard of Bingen and more!While this isn't a list of all female nuns, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female nuns?" and "Who are the best female nuns?"
- Mary Teresa Bojaxhiu (born Anjezë Gonxhe Bojaxhiu, Albanian: [aˈɲɛzə ˈɡɔndʒɛ bɔjaˈdʒiu]; 26 August 1910 – 5 September 1997), commonly known as Mother Teresa and honoured in the Roman Catholic Church as Saint Teresa of Calcutta, was an Albanian-Indian Roman Catholic nun and missionary. She was born in Skopje (now the capital of North Macedonia), then part of the Kosovo Vilayet of the Ottoman Empire. After living in Skopje for eighteen years, she moved to Ireland and then to India, where she lived for most of her life. In 1950, Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity, a Roman Catholic religious congregation that had over 4,500 nuns and was active in 133 countries in 2012. The congregation... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 87 (1910-1997)
- Birthplace: Skopje, Yugoslavia
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useSister Maura Clarke, M.M., was an American Roman Catholic Maryknoll sister who served as a missionary in Nicaragua and El Salvador. She worked with the poor and refugees in Central America from 1959 until her murder in 1980. On December 2, 1980, she was beaten, raped, and murdered along with three fellow missionaries — Ita Ford, Dorothy Kazel and Jean Donovan — by members of the military of El Salvador.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 49 (1931-1980)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainAnna Alexandrovna Vyrubova (née Taneyeva; Russian: А́нна Алекса́ндровна Вы́рубова (Тане́ева)); 16 July 1884 – 20 July 1964) was a Russian lady-in-waiting, the best friend and confidante of Tsaritsa Alexandra Fyodorovna.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 80 (1884-1964)
- Birthplace: Oranienbaum, Germany
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useMother Mary Angelica of the Annunciation, PCPA (born Rita Antoinette Rizzo; April 20, 1923 – March 27, 2016), also known as Mother Angelica, was a Catholic American Poor Clare nun best known for her television personality. She was also the founder of the internationally broadcast cable television network Eternal Word Television Network (EWTN) and the radio network WEWN. EWTN became a voice for American conservative and traditional Catholics. In 1981, Mother Angelica started broadcasting religious programs from a converted garage in Birmingham, Alabama. Over the next twenty years, she developed a media network that included radio, TV, and internet channels as well as printed media. Mother... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 97
- Birthplace: Canton, Ohio