List of famous female opera singers, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female opera singers list contains the most prominent and top females known for being opera singers. Here are also famous male opera singers and popular operatic pop artists and bands. There are thousand of females working as opera singers in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic opera singers have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a opera singer then the people below should give you inspiration.
This list below has everything from Joan Sutherland to Renée Fleming.While this isn't a list of all female opera singers, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female opera singers?" and "Who are the best female opera singers?"
- Sophie Arnould (13 February 1740, Paris – 18 October 1802, Paris) was a French operatic soprano. Born Magdeleine Sophie Arnould, she studied in Paris with Marie Fel and La Clairon, and made her stage debut at the Opéra de Paris on 15 December 1757 and sang there for 20 years. She created for Christoph Wilibald Gluck the roles of Eurydice in Orphée et Eurydice and the title role in Iphigénie en Aulide. She also obtained considerable success in operas by Jean-Philippe Rameau, François Francoeur, and Pierre-Alexandre Monsigny. According to her contemporaries, her voice was more beautiful than powerful, but she was a passionate actress. Her lack of discipline in both her professional and... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 62 (1740-1802)
- Birthplace: Paris, France
- Marie Justine Benoîte Favart (née Duronceray) (15 June 1727 – 22 April 1772) was an operatic singer, actress, and dancer, the wife of the dramatist, Charles Simon Favart.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 45 (1727-1772)
- Birthplace: Avignon, France
- Edita Gruberová (born 23 December 1946), is a Slovak coloratura soprano. She is noted for her great tonal clarity, agility, dramatic power, endurance, and ability to sing high notes with great power and sustained vocal consistency, which made her an ideal Queen of the Night in her early years. In recent years, she has enjoyed huge success with a number of the most important bel canto roles.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 73
- Birthplace: Slovakia, Bratislava
- Kathleen Howard (July 27, 1884 - April 15, 1956) was a Canadian-born American opera singer, magazine editor, and character actress from the mid-1930s through the 1940s.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 72 (1884-1956)
- Birthplace: Ontario, Canada