List of famous female opera singers, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female opera singers list contains the most prominent and top females known for being opera singers. Here are also famous male opera singers and popular operatic pop artists and bands. There are thousand of females working as opera singers in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic opera singers have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a opera singer then the people below should give you inspiration.
This list below has everything from Joan Sutherland to Renée Fleming.While this isn't a list of all female opera singers, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female opera singers?" and "Who are the best female opera singers?"
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseDame Joan Alston Sutherland, OM, AC, DBE (7 November 1926 – 10 October 2010) was an Australian-born coloratura soprano noted for her contribution to the renaissance of the bel canto repertoire from the late 1950s through to the 1980s. She possessed a voice combining extraordinary agility, accurate intonation, "supremely" pinpoint staccatos, a trill and a tremendous upper register, although music critics often complained about the imprecision of her diction.Sutherland was the first Australian to win a Grammy Award, for Best Classical Performance – Vocal Soloist (with or without orchestra) in 1962. ...more
- Age: Dec. at 83 (1926-2010)
- Birthplace: Sydney, Australia
Renée FlemingRenée Lynn Fleming (born February 14, 1959) is an American soprano, known for performances in opera, concerts, recordings, theater, film, and at major public occasions. Fleming has a full lyric soprano voice. She has performed coloratura, lyric, and lighter spinto soprano operatic roles in Italian, German, French, Czech, and Russian, aside from her native English. She has also sung and recorded lieder, chansons, jazz, musical theatre, and indie rock. She speaks fluent German and French, along with limited Italian. Her signature roles include Countess Almaviva in Mozart's Le nozze di Figaro, Desdemona in Verdi's Otello, Violetta in Verdi's La traviata, the title role in Dvořák's Rusalka, the ...more
- Age: 62
- Birthplace: USA, Indiana, Pennsylvania
- Photo: Metaweb (FB)Cecilia Bartoli, Cavaliere OMRI (Italian: [tʃeˈtʃiːlja ˈbartoli]; born 4 June 1966) is an Italian coloratura mezzo-soprano opera singer and recitalist. She is best known for her interpretations of the music of Bellini, Mozart and Rossini, as well as for her performances of lesser-known Baroque and Classical music. She is known for having the versatility to sing soprano and mezzo roles. ...more
- Age: 55
- Birthplace: Rome, Italy
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useJeanne Gordon (born Ruby May Gordon, January 26, 1885 – February 22, 1952) was a Canadian contralto opera singer active during the early 1900s. ...more
- Age: Dec. at 68 (1884-1952)
- Birthplace: Wallaceburg, Canada