List of famous female performance artists, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female performance artists list contains the most prominent and top females known for being performance artists. There are thousand of females working as performance artists in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic performance artists have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a performance artist then the people below should give you inspiration.
These people, like Jyl Lynn Felman and Chavisa Woods include images when available.While this isn't a list of all female performance artists, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female performance artists?" and "Who are the best female performance artists?"
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainMerrill Beth Nisker (born 11 November 1966), better known by her stage name Peaches, is a Canadian electronic musician and performance artist. Born in Ontario to a Jewish family, Peaches began her musical career in the 1990s as part of a folk trio, Mermaid Cafe. In 1995, she established a rock band, the Shit. That year she also released her first solo album, Fancypants Hoodlum. After moving to Berlin, Germany, she was signed to the Kitty-Yo label and released her second album, The Teaches of Peaches (2000). Touring as the opening act for bands like Marilyn Manson and Queens of the Stone Age, she subsequently released her third album, Fatherfucker (2003). Her songs have been featured in... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 51
- Birthplace: Canada, Ontario, Toronto, Americas
- Miranda July (born Miranda Jennifer Grossinger; February 15, 1974) is an American film director, screenwriter, singer, actress, author and artist. Her body of work includes film, fiction, monologue, digital media presentations, and live performance art. She wrote, directed and starred in the films Me and You and Everyone We Know (2005) and The Future (2011). She wrote the book of short stories No One Belongs Here More Than You (2007) and the novel The First Bad Man (2015).... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 46
- Birthplace: Barre, Vermont, United States of America
- Photo: flickr / CC0Jam Rostron, better known by her stage name Planningtorock, is an English electronic musician and record producer who lives in Berlin, Germany.... more on Wikipedia
- Birthplace: Bolton, United Kingdom
- Marina Abramović (Serbian Cyrillic: Марина Абрамовић, pronounced [marǐːna abrǎːmoʋitɕ]; born November 30, 1946) is a Serbian performance artist, writer, and art filmmaker. Her work explores body art, endurance art and feminist art, the relationship between performer and audience, the limits of the body, and the possibilities of the mind. Being active for over four decades, Abramović refers to herself as the "grandmother of performance art". She pioneered a new notion of identity by bringing in the participation of observers, focusing on "confronting pain, blood, and physical limits of the body".... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 73
- Birthplace: Europe, Eurasia, Yugoslavia, Serbia, Belgrade