List of famous female referees, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female referees list contains the most prominent and top females known for being referees. There are thousand of females working as referees in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic referees have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a referee then the people below should give you inspiration.
List people include Violet Palmer, Amy Rayner and many additional people as well.While this isn't a list of all female referees, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female referees?" and "Who are the best female referees?"
- Photo: user uploaded imageBibiana Steinhaus is a German football referee. She was the first female referee in German professional football. She became a professional referee in 1999 by officiating matches in the Women's Bundesliga, after that she was selected to officiate in the Regionalliga. In 2003, she was the main referee for the 2002–03 Women's DFB-Pokal final between 1. FFC Frankfurt and FCR 2001 Duisburg. She was also selected for the 2008 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup, UEFA Women's Euro 2009 and 2010 FIFA U-20 Women's World Cup. On 15 April 2011, she was one of 16 referees for the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup where she officiated two group stage matches before she was selected to officiate the final between... more
- Age: 42
- Birthplace: Bad Lauterberg, Germany
- Michaela Tabb (born 11 December 1967, in Bath, England) is a Scottish snooker and pool referee, notable for establishing significant milestones for women officials in professional snooker. She began refereeing professionally on the pool circuit in 1997, and has officiated at top pool tournaments such as the WPA World Nine-ball Championship and the Mosconi Cup. After qualifying in 2001 to referee on the professional snooker tour, she went on to become the sport's highest profile female referee. During her 14 years on the tour, she became the first woman to officiate at a professional ranking snooker tournament (2002), the first woman to referee a ranking tournament final (2007), and the only... more
- Age: 53
- Birthplace: Bath, United Kingdom
- Photo: flickr / CC03
Violet PalmerViolet Renice Palmer (born July 20, 1964) is a retired American basketball referee in the NBA and WNBA and the first female official to reach the highest competitive tier in any major U.S. professional sports league. She also earned recognition as a member of two NCAA Division II women's championship basketball teams. Palmer was the first woman to officiate an NBA playoff game when she did so in the April 25, 2006 match between the Indiana Pacers and New Jersey Nets. In the NBA, Palmer wore uniform number 12. She retired in 2016. ... more
- Age: 57
Amy FearnAmy Elizabeth Fearn (née Rayner; born 20 November 1977) is an English football referee from Loughborough, Leicestershire, who in 2010 became the first woman to referee in The Football League. With a degree in economics and a full-time career in accountancy, having also refereed football since age 14, she became only the second woman after Wendy Toms to rise to the position of assistant referee in English professional football. On 9 February 2010 she became the first woman to act as the main referee in a Football League match.... more
- Age: 43
- Birthplace: Loughborough, United Kingdom