List of famous female test pilots, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female test pilots list contains the most prominent and top females known for being test pilots. There are thousand of females working as test pilots in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic test pilots have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a test pilot then the people below should give you inspiration.
List includes Melitta Schenk Gräfin von Stauffenberg, Svetlana Savitskaya and more.While this isn't a list of all female test pilots, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female test pilots?" and "Who are the best female test pilots?"
- Eileen Marie Collins (born November 19, 1956) is a retired NASA astronaut and a retired United States Air Force colonel. A former military instructor and test pilot, Collins was the first female pilot and first female commander of a Space Shuttle. She was awarded several medals for her work. Colonel Collins has logged 38 days 8 hours and 20 minutes in outer space. Collins retired on May 1, 2006, to pursue private interests, including service as a board member of USAA.... more
- Age: 64
- Birthplace: Elmira, New York
- Lisa Marie Nowak (née Caputo, born May 10, 1963) is an American former naval flight officer and NASA astronaut. Born in Washington, D.C., she was selected by NASA in 1996 and qualified as a mission specialist in robotics. Nowak flew aboard Space Shuttle Discovery during the STS-121 mission in July 2006, where she was responsible for operating the robotic arms of the shuttle and the International Space Station. On February 5, 2007, she was arrested in Orlando, Florida, and subsequently charged with the attempted kidnapping of U.S. Air Force Captain Colleen Shipman, who was romantically involved with astronaut William Oefelein. Nowak was released on bail, and initially pleaded not guilty to... more
- Age: 58
- Birthplace: Washington, D.C.
Sunita WilliamsSunita Pandya Lyn Williams (born September 19, 1965) is an American astronaut and United States Navy officer of Indo-Slovenian descent. She formerly held the records for total spacewalks by a woman (seven) and most spacewalk time for a woman (50 hours, 40 minutes). Williams was assigned to the International Space Station as a member of Expedition 14 and Expedition 15. In 2012, she served as a flight engineer on Expedition 32 and then commander of Expedition 33.... more
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: Euclid, Ohio
- Svetlana Yevgenyevna Savitskaya (Russian: Светла́на Евге́ньевна Сави́цкая; born 8 August 1948) is a retired Soviet aviator and cosmonaut who flew aboard Soyuz T-7 in 1982, becoming the second woman in space. On her 1984 mission she became the first woman to fly to space twice, and the first woman to perform a spacewalk. She set several FAI world records as a pilot. ... more
- Age: 73
- Birthplace: Moscow, Russia