List of famous female theatre directors, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female theatre directors list contains the most prominent and top females known for being theatre directors. There are thousand of females working as theatre directors in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic theatre directors have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a theatre director then the people below should give you inspiration.
Everything from Kristin Hanggi to Denise Chavez is included on this list.While this isn't a list of all female theatre directors, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female theatre directors?" and "Who are the best female theatre directors?"
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / GramercyCatherine Elise Blanchett (; born 14 May 1969) is an Australian-American actress and theatre director. She is the recipient of various accolades, including two Academy Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, and three BAFTA Awards. Time magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2007, and in 2018, she was listed among the highest-paid actresses in the world. After graduating from the National Institute of Dramatic Art, Blanchett began her acting career on the Australian stage, taking on roles in Electra in 1992 and Hamlet in 1994. She came to international attention for portraying Elizabeth I of England in the drama film Elizabeth (1998), for which she won the... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 51
- Birthplace: Ivanhoe, Melbourne, Australia
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainGeraldine Mary Fitzgerald (November 24, 1913 – July 17, 2005) was an Irish actress and a member of the American Theater Hall of Fame.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 92 (1913-2005)
- Birthplace: Greystones, Republic of Ireland
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainRegina Encarnacion Ansong Velasquez (; born April 22, 1970) is a Filipino singer, actress and record producer. She gained recognition by winning both the 1984 Ang Bagong Kampeon and the 1989 Asia-Pacific Song Contest, representing the Philippines in the latter. Velasquez rose to fame with the release of "Kung Maibabalik Ko Lang" from her self-titled debut album in 1987. The album was generally well received and produced two more singles, "Urong Sulong" and "Isang Lahi", that established her as a commercially viable Filipino pop artist. Velasquez-Alcasid signed a recording contract with Polygram Records in 1994 and released Listen Without Prejudice, marking her debut as an up-and-coming... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 50
- Birthplace: Tondo, Philippines
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYKatherine Lucy Bridget Burke (born 13 June 1964) is an English actress, comedian, writer, producer, and director. She achieved fame with her appearances on sketch shows such as French and Saunders (1988–99) and her recurring role as Magda on the BBC sitcom Absolutely Fabulous (1992–96), as well as her frequent collaborations with fellow comedian Harry Enfield. For her portrayal of Valerie in the 1997 film Nil by Mouth, she won Best Actress at the Cannes Film Festival and was nominated for a BAFTA for Best Actress in a Leading Role. Burke made her film debut in the 1982 drama Scrubbers, and played Queen Mary I in the award-winning biographical film Elizabeth (1998). Her other film... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: Camden Town, London, United Kingdom