List of famous female violists, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest female violists list contains the most prominent and top females known for being violists. There are thousand of females working as violists in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic violists have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a female aspiring to be a violist then the people below should give you inspiration.
This list is made up of many different people, including Veronika Hagen and Martha Strongin Katz.While this isn't a list of all female violists, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous female violists?" and "Who are the best female violists?"
- Biddy Connor is a film score composer and musician.... more on Wikipedia
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainRebecca Clarke (27 August 1886 – 13 October 1979) was an English classical composer and violist best known for her chamber music featuring the viola. She was born in Harrow and studied at the Royal Academy of Music and Royal College of Music in London, later becoming one of the first female professional orchestral players. Stranded in the United States at the outbreak of World War II, she settled permanently in New York City and married composer and pianist James Friskin in 1944. Clarke died at her home in New York at the age of 93. Although Clarke's output was not large, her work was recognised for its compositional skill and artistic power. Some of her works have yet to be published (and... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 93 (1886-1979)
- Birthplace: London Borough of Harrow, London, United Kingdom
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainRosemary Glyde (September 15, 1948 — January 18, 1994) was an American violist and composer. Focusing on expanding the limited repertory for solo viola, she wrote and transcribed many works for that instrument, including Sergei Rachmaninoff's Cello Sonata and Johann Sebastian Bach's Cello Suites for viola. She founded the New York Viola Society in 1992.Glyde was born in Auburn, Alabama in 1948 to Edgar Glyde, a violist on faculty at the Alabama Polytechnic Institute, and Dorothy Glyde, a cellist. Glyde was trained as soprano and violinist, studying under her father, a graduate of the Royal Academy of Music, from the age of four. While a student at Auburn High School, she was concert... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 46 (1948-1994)
- Birthplace: Auburn, Alabama
- Geraldine Lamboley Walther (born July 22, 1950 in Tampa, Florida) is an American violist. Since 2005 she has been a member of the Takács String Quartet, replacing Roger Tapping as violist of the group. She is the former principal violist of the San Francisco Symphony, a role she held from 1976 through 2005. Previously, she was assistant principal viola of the Pittsburgh Symphony, Miami Symphony and Baltimore Symphony. She won first prize at the Primrose International Viola Competition in 1979. She currently teaches on the music faculty of the University of Colorado at Boulder. Before joining the Takács Quartet at the University of Colorado, Geraldine Walther was Principal Violist of the San... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 70
- Birthplace: Tampa, Florida