List of notable or famous historians from India, with bios and photos, including the top historians born in India and even some popular historians who immigrated to India. If you're trying to find out the names of famous Indian historians then this list is the perfect resource for you. These historians are among the most prominent in their field, and information about each well-known historian from India is included when available.
This list is made up of many different great Indian historians, including Sahajanand Saraswati and S. T. Joshi.
This historic historians from India list can help answer the questions "Who are some Indian historians of note?" and "Who are the most famous historians from India?" These prominent historians of India may or may not be currently alive, but what they all have in common is that they're all respected Indian historians.Use this list of renowned Indian historians to discover some new historians that you aren't familiar with. Don't forget to share this list by clicking one of the social media icons at the top or bottom of the page.
- Abdul Qadir Badayuni (c. 21 August 1540 – c. 5 November 1605) was a historian and translator living in the Mughal Empire.He translated the Hindu works, the Ramayana and the Mahabharata (Razmnama). However, as an orthodox Muslim, he strongly resented the reforms of Akbar, and the elevation of Hindus to high offices. He was also renowned for his rivalry with Abu'l-Fazl ibn Mubarak.... more
- Age: Dec. at 75 (1540-1615)
- Birthplace: Uttar Pradesh, India
- Photo: Metaweb (FB)Basavangudi Gundappa Lakshminarayana Swamy (1918–1980, also known as B. G. L. Swamy) was an Indian botanist and Kannada writer who was professor and head of the department of Botany and a principal of Presidency College, Chennai. He was the son of D. V. Gundappa, an Indian writer and philosopher.... more
- Age: Dec. at 62 (1918-1980)
- Birthplace: Bangalore, India
- Photo: Metaweb (FB)Bhaskar Anand Saletore (1902–1963), better known as B. A. Saletore, was an Indian historian from Mangalore, Karnataka.... more
- Age: Dec. at 61 (1902-1963)
- Birthplace: Puttur taluk
- Photo: uploaded by BojanglesBarun De (30 October 1932 – 16 July 2013) was an Indian historian. He served as the first professor of social and economic history of the Indian Institute of Management, Calcutta, founder-director of the Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta and the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata and as the honorary state editor for the West Bengal District Gazetteers. He was chairman of the West Bengal Heritage Commission.... more
- Age: Dec. at 81 (1932-2013)
- Birthplace: India