List of notable or famous historians from the United States, with bios and photos, including the top historians born in the United States and even some popular historians who immigrated to the United States. If you're trying to find out the names of famous American historians then this list is the perfect resource for you. These historians are among the most prominent in their field, and information about each well-known historian from the United States is included when available.
List ranges from Woodrow Wilson to Theodore Roosevelt and more.
This historic historians from the United States list can help answer the questions "Who are some American historians of note?" and "Who are the most famous historians from the United States?" These prominent historians of the United States may or may not be currently alive, but what they all have in common is that they're all respected American historians.Use this list of renowned American historians to discover some new historians that you aren't familiar with. Don't forget to share this list by clicking one of the social media icons at the top or bottom of the page.
Harry Houdini (; born Erik Weisz, later Ehrich Weiss or Harry Weiss; March 24, 1874 – October 31, 1926) was a Hungarian-born American illusionist and stunt performer, noted for his sensational ...more
- Birthplace: Budapest, Hungary
Isaac Asimov (; c. January 2, 1920 – April 6, 1992) was an American writer and professor of biochemistry at Boston University. He was known for his works of science fiction and popular science. ...more
- Birthplace: Petrovichi, Russia
Howard Zinn (August 24, 1922 – January 27, 2010) was an American historian, playwright, and socialist thinker. He was chair of the history and social sciences department at Spelman College, and a ...more
- Birthplace: New York City, USA, New York
George Stanley McGovern (July 19, 1922 – October 21, 2012) was an American historian, author, U.S. representative, U.S. senator, and the Democratic Party presidential nominee in the 1972 presidential ...more
- Birthplace: Avon, South Dakota, United States of America
Carl August Sandburg (January 6, 1878 – July 22, 1967) was an American poet, biographer, journalist, and editor. He won three Pulitzer Prizes: two for his poetry and one for his biography of Abraham ...more
- Birthplace: Galesburg, Illinois, United States of America
George Frost Kennan (February 16, 1904 – March 17, 2005) was an American diplomat and historian. He was best known as an advocate of a policy of containment of Soviet expansion during the Cold War. ...more
- Birthplace: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Lucius Morris Beebe (December 9, 1902 – February 4, 1966) was an American author, gourmand, photographer, railroad historian, journalist, and syndicated columnist.
- Birthplace: Wakefield, Massachusetts
Carter Godwin Woodson (December 19, 1875 – April 3, 1950) was an American historian, author, journalist and the founder of the Association for the Study of African American Life and History. He was ...more
- Birthplace: New Canton, Virginia
Mary Martha Corinne Morrison Claiborne Roberts (née Boggs; born December 27, 1943), best known as Cokie Roberts, is an American journalist and a bestseller-author. She is a commentator on contract to ...more
- Birthplace: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States of America
Daniel Pipes (born September 9, 1949) is an American historian, writer, and commentator. He is the president of the Middle East Forum, and publisher of its Middle East Quarterly journal. His writing ...more
- Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts
Catharine Drew Gilpin Faust (born September 18, 1947) is an American historian and was the 28th President of Harvard University, the first woman to serve in that role. Faust is the former dean of ...more
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, USA
John Eastburn Boswell (March 20, 1947 – December 24, 1994) was a historian and a full professor at Yale University. Many of Boswell's studies focused on the issue of religion and homosexuality, ...more
- Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts
Daniel Alexander Payne Murray (1852-1925) was an American bibliographer, author, politician, and historian. He also worked as an assistant librarian at the Library of Congress.
- Birthplace: Baltimore, Maryland
Henry Cabot Lodge (May 12, 1850 – November 9, 1924) was an American Republican Senator and historian from Massachusetts. A member of the prominent Lodge family, he received his PhD in history from ...more
- Birthplace: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Eliezer Wiesel (, Hebrew: אֱלִיעֶזֶר וִיזֶל ʾĔlîʿezer Vîzel; September 30, 1928 – July 2, 2016) was a Romanian-born American writer, professor, political activist, Nobel Laureate, and Holocaust ...more
- Birthplace: Sighetu Marmației, Romania
Dorothy Dietrich (born October 31, 1969) is an American stage magician and escapologist, best known as the first and only woman to have performed the bullet catch in her mouth, and the first woman to ...more
- Birthplace: Erie, Pennsylvania
Antony Cyril Sutton (February 14, 1925 – June 17, 2002) was a British and American economist, historian, professor, and writer.
- Birthplace: London, United Kingdom
- Charles Myron Clegg Jr. (June 29, 1916 – August 25, 1979) was an American author, photographer, and railroad historian. Clegg is primarily remembered as the lifelong companion of famed railroad ...more
David Halberstam (April 10, 1934 – April 23, 2007) was an American journalist and historian, known for his work on the Vietnam War, politics, history, the Civil Rights Movement, business, media, ...more
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
Carlton Joseph Huntley Hayes was an American educator, diplomat, devout Catholic and academic. A student of European history, he was a leading and pioneering specialist on the study of nationalism. ...more
- Birthplace: Afton, New York
John King Fairbank (May 24, 1907 – September 14, 1991), was a prominent American historian of China. Considered the doyen of post-war China studies, the Fairbank Center for Chinese Studies at ...more
- Birthplace: Huron, South Dakota
- David E. Kyvig is an American historian, and Distinguished Research Professor at Northern Illinois University.
- George Woodman Hilton was a United States historian and economist, who specialized in social history, transportation economics, regulation by commission, the history of economic thought and labor ...more
Jacques Martin Barzun (; November 30, 1907 – October 25, 2012) was a French-American historian known for his studies of the history of ideas and cultural history. He wrote about a wide range of ...more
- Birthplace: Créteil, France
Jerry Don Thompson is Regents Professor of History at Texas A&M International University in Laredo, Texas. He is a prolific author of books on a variety of related topics, specializing in the ...more
- Birthplace: Springerville, Arizona