List of famous gay, lesbian and bisexual people from New Zealand--famous homosexuals from New Zealand. In NZ, society is generally relaxed in acceptance of gays and lesbians. The gay-friendly environment is epitomised by the fact that there are several Members of Parliament who belong to the LGBT community, gay rights are protected by the New Zealand Human Rights Act, and same-sex couples are able to marry as of 2013. Sex between men was decriminalised in 1986.
Statistics New Zealand currently doesn't readily record the sexual orientation of people in New Zealand, meaning there are very limited statistics on New Zealand's LGBT population. However, at the 2006 Census, there were a recorded 12,300 people living in a same-sex couple in New Zealand - 5,300 male and 7,000 female.The famous gay people on this list have identified themselves as being gay, lesbian and bisexual and were born in and live in New Zealand. The New Zealand LGBT community is proud to have many famous gay politicians, famous gay singers and celebrities among them.
- Richard O'Brien (born Richard Smith; 25 March 1942) is an English-New Zealand actor, writer,... more on Wikipedia
- Avram Joel Spolsky (born 1965) is a software engineer and writer. He is the author of Joel on... more on Wikipedia
- Witi Tame Ihimaera-Smiler (born 7 February 1944), generally known as Witi Ihimaera , is a New... more on Wikipedia
- William Kenneth Hastings was New Zealand's tenth Chief Censor, from October 1999 to July 2010.... more on Wikipedia
- Norris Frank Davey (23 March 1903 – 1 March 1982) was a New Zealand short story writer and... more on Wikipedia
- Blyth Tait (born 10 May 1961 in Whangarei) is a New Zealand equestrian. Tait has competed at... more on Wikipedia
- Louisa Hareruia Wall (born 17 February 1972) is the New Zealand Member of Parliament for... more on Wikipedia
- Marilyn Joy Waring CNZM (born 7 October 1952) is a New Zealand feminist, former politician,... more on Wikipedia
- Paula Boock is a writer.