Attractions Famous Jacobean architecture buildings

Reference
7.2k views 16 items

List of famous buildings in the Jacobean architecture movement, listed alphabetically with photos when available. This list of Jacobean architecture buildings, structures and monuments includes information like what city the structure is in, and when it was first opened to the public. There are a lot of historic Jacobean architecture structures around the world, so why not save some money and check them out here without having to pay for travel? These popular Jacobean architecture buildings attract visitors from all over the world, so if you're ever near them you should definitely pay them a visit. This list features Hatfield House, Green Lane Masjid and more.

This list is a great source for answering the questions, "What are the most famous Jacobean architecture buildings?" and "What do Jacobean architecture buildings look like?"
Aston Hall is listed (or ranked) 1 on the list Famous Jacobean architecture buildings
Photo: Metaweb (FB)/Public domain

Aston Hall is a Grade I listed Jacobean house in Aston, Birmingham, England, designed by John Thorpe and built between 1618 and 1635. In 1864 the house was bought by Birmingham Corporation, becoming the first historic country house to pass into municipal ownership, and is still owned by Birmingham City Council. It is now a community museum managed by the Birmingham Museums Trust and is open to the public during the summer months, after a major renovation completed in 2009. ...more on Wikipedia

see more on Aston Hall
Astor Home for Children is listed (or ranked) 2 on the list Famous Jacobean architecture buildings
Photo: Metaweb (FB)/GNU Free Documentation License
2

Astor Home for Children

The Astor Home for Children building, home to Astor Services for Children & Families, is located on Mill Street in Rhinebeck, New York, United States. It is sponsored by Catholic Charities in the Archdiocese of New York, and provides mental health services to children on an inpatient and outpatient basis. The institution began in 1904 as Holiday Farm in nearby Rhinecliff. In 1914, Vincent Astor hired the New York City architectural firm of Albro & Lindeberg to design the present building for the facility, which bought the land and moved in. Catholic Charities took over ownership upon Astor's death three decades later. In the mid-20th century, major additions were made to the property, but ...more on Wikipedia

Bacon's Castle is listed (or ranked) 3 on the list Famous Jacobean architecture buildings
Photo: Metaweb (FB)/Public domain
3

Bacon's Castle

Bacon's Castle, also variously known as "Allen's Brick House" or the "Arthur Allen House" is located in Surry County, Virginia, USA, and is Virginia's oldest documented brick dwelling. Built in 1665, it is noted as an extremely rare example of Jacobean architecture in the New World. The house became known as "Bacon's Castle" because it was occupied as a fort or "castle" by the followers of Nathaniel Bacon during Bacon's Rebellion in 1676. However, contrary to popular folklore, Bacon never lived at Bacon's Castle, nor is he even known to have visited it. Today Bacon's Castle is an historic house museum and historic site open for guest visitation. Bacon's Castle is an official Preservation ...more on Wikipedia

Bank Hall is listed (or ranked) 4 on the list Famous Jacobean architecture buildings
Photo: Metaweb (FB)/GNU Free Documentation License
4

Bank Hall

Bank Hall is a Jacobean mansion in Bretherton, Lancashire, England. It is a Grade II* listed building. The hall was built on the site of an older house in 1608 by the Banastres who were lords of the manor. The hall was extended during the 18th and 19th centuries. Extensions were built for George Anthony Legh Keck in 1832–1833, to the design of the architect George Webster. Legh Keck died in 1860 and the estates passed to Thomas Powys, 3rd Baron Lilford. The contents were auctioned in 1861 and the hall used as a holiday home and later leased to tenants. During the Second World War the Royal Engineers used it as a control centre. After the war the estate was returned to the Lilfords whose ...more on Wikipedia