List of notable or famous lawyers from England, with bios and photos, including the top lawyers born in England and even some popular lawyers who immigrated to England. If you're trying to find out the names of famous English lawyers then this list is the perfect resource for you. These lawyers are among the most prominent in their field, and information about each well-known lawyer from England is included when available.
List includes Brenda Hale, John Donne and more. Featuring popular British attorneys and more, this list has it all.
This historic lawyers from England list can help answer the questions "Who are some English lawyers of note?" and "Who are the most famous lawyers from England?" These prominent lawyers of England may or may not be currently alive, but what they all have in common is that they're all respected English lawyers.Use this list of renowned English lawyers to discover some new lawyers that you aren't familiar with. Don't forget to share this list by clicking one of the social media icons at the top or bottom of the page.
- Anthony Allen (died 11 April 1754) was an English lawyer and antiquary
Bartholomew Gosnold (1571 – 22 August 1607) was an English barrister, explorer, and privateer, who was instrumental in founding the Virginia Company of London, and Jamestown in colonial America. He ...more
- Birthplace: Grundisburgh, England
Brenda Marjorie Hale, Baroness Hale of Richmond, , known as Lady Hale (born 31 January 1945) is a British judge and the current President of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom. In 2004, she ...more
- Birthplace: Yorkshire, England
Sir Bulstrode Whitelocke (6 August 1605 – 28 July 1675) was an English lawyer, writer, parliamentarian and Lord Keeper of the Great Seal of England.
- Birthplace: England
Christopher John Sansom is a British writer of historical crime novels. He was born in 1952 in Edinburgh and was educated at the University of Birmingham, where he took a BA and then a PhD in ...more
- Birthplace: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- Charles Synge Christopher Bowen, Baron Bowen, (1 January 1835 – 10 April 1894) was an English judge.
- Charles Erdman Petersdorff (1800 – 1886) was a legal writer.
Charles Leslie Falconer, Baron Falconer of Thoroton, PC, QC, (born 19 November 1951), is a British Labour peer and barrister. Falconer became the Lord Chancellor and the first Secretary of State for ...more
- Birthplace: Eurasia, United Kingdom, Scotland, Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Charles Peter Allen (2 December 1861 – 18 September 1930) was an English Liberal politician who represented Stroud from 1900-1914. His professional career was as a solicitor and newspaper journalist. ...more
- Birthplace: Prestwich, United Kingdom
- Charles Robert Forrester (1803, London – 15 January 1850, London) was an English lawyer and writer, who sometimes wrote under the pseudonym Hal Willis, frequently with illustrations provided by his ...more
Cherie Blair (née Booth; born 23 September 1954), also known professionally as Cherie Booth, is a British barrister, lecturer, and writer. She is married to Tony Blair, who was the Prime Minister of ...more
- Birthplace: Eurasia, Bury, Greater Manchester, United Kingdom, North West England
- Christopher "Chris" Mort is an English lawyer and former chairman of Newcastle United Football Club.
- Christopher Rich (1657–1714) was a lawyer and theatrical manager in London in the late 17th and early 18th century.
Clive Stuart Anderson (born 10 December 1952 in Stanmore, Middlesex) is an English television and radio presenter, comedy writer and former barrister. Winner of a British Comedy Award in 1991, ...more
- Birthplace: Middlesex, England
- Sir Cresswell Cresswell, PC (20 August 1794 – 29 July 1863), born Cresswell Easterby, was an English lawyer, judge and Tory politician. As a judge in the newly created divorce court, Cresswell did ...more
- Cyril Theodore Anstruther Wilkinson CBE (4 October 1884 – 16 December 1970) was an English field hockey player who competed in the 1920 Summer Olympics for Great Britain. The team won the gold medal. ...more
- David Stephen Pearl is a British lawyer and member of the Judicial Appointments Commission. He is the son of Rabbi Chaim Pearl. Pearl was educated at the University of Birmingham and at the Queens' ...more
- Sir Antony Derek Maxwell Oulton (14 October 1927 – 1 August 2016) was a British senior civil servant, who was Permanent Secretary of the Lord Chancellor's Department and Clerk of the Crown in ...more
- Sir Douglas Straight (22 October 1844 – 4 June 1914) was an English lawyer, Member of Parliament, judge and journalist.Straight was born in London and was educated at Harrow School. Until 1865 he ...more
Sir Edmund Plowden (1518 – 6 February 1585) was a distinguished English lawyer, legal scholar and theorist during the late Tudor period.
- Birthplace: United Kingdom
- Edward Bellasis (14 October 1800 – 24 January 1873) was an English lawyer, a follower of the Oxford Movement who converted to Roman Catholicism. He was a close friend and associate of other ...more
- Edward Lowth Badeley (1803 or 1804 – 1868) was an English ecclesiastical lawyer and member of the Oxford Movement who was involved in some of the most notorious cases of the 19th century.
- Sir Edward Montagu (c. 1485 – 10 February 1557) was an English lawyer and judge.
- Edwin James may refer to: Edwin James (barrister) (c. 1812–1882), English lawyer, Member of Parliament and would-be actor Edwin James (scientist) (1797–1861), American botanist, geographer, ...more