List of notable or famous lawyers from South Africa, with bios and photos, including the top lawyers born in South Africa and even some popular lawyers who immigrated to South Africa. If you're trying to find out the names of famous South African lawyers then this list is the perfect resource for you. These lawyers are among the most prominent in their field, and information about each well-known lawyer from South Africa is included when available.
Examples of people on this list include Nelson Mandela and Edwin Cameron. Featuring Black South African lawyers, civil rights attorneys, and more, this list has it all.
This historic lawyers from South Africa list can help answer the questions "Who are some South African lawyers of note?" and "Who are the most famous lawyers from South Africa?" These prominent lawyers of South Africa may or may not be currently alive, but what they all have in common is that they're all respected South African lawyers.
Use this list of renowned South African lawyers to discover some new lawyers that you aren't familiar with. Don't forget to share this list by clicking one of the social media icons at the top or bottom of the page.
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainAbraham Fischer (4 September 1850 – 16 November 1913) was a South African statesman. He was the sole Prime Minister of the Orange River Colony in South Africa, and when that ceased to exist joined the cabinet of the newly formed Union of South Africa.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 63 (1850-1913)
- Birthplace: Green Point, Cape Town
- Photo: uploaded by BojanglesArthur Chaskalson SCOB, (24 November 1931 – 1 December 2012) was President of the Constitutional Court of South Africa from 1994 to 2001 and Chief Justice of South Africa from 2001 to 2005. Chaskalson was a member of the defence team in the Rivonia Trial of 1963.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 81 (1931-2012)
- Birthplace: Johannesburg, South Africa
- Nyameko Barney Pityana FKC GCOB (born 7 August 1945) is a human rights lawyer and theologian in South Africa. He is an exponent of Black theology. ... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 75
- Birthplace: Uitenhage, Eastern Cape, South Africa
- Photo: uploaded by BojanglesAbraham Louis Fischer (23 April 1908 – 8 May 1975) was a South African lawyer of Afrikaner descent, notable for anti-apartheid activism and for the legal defence of anti-apartheid figures, including Nelson Mandela at the Rivonia Trial. Following the trial he was himself put on trial accused of furthering communism. He was sentenced to life imprisonment, and diagnosed with cancer while in prison. The South African Prisons Act was extended to include his brother's house in Bloemfontein where he died two months later.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 67 (1908-1975)
- Birthplace: Bloemfontein, South Africa