List of famous male drummers, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest male drummers list contains the most prominent and top males known for being drummers. There are thousand of males working as drummers in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic drummers have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a male aspiring to be a drummer then the people below should give you inspiration.
Nick Jago and James Kottak are a great starting point for your to rank your favorites on this listWhile this isn't a list of all male drummers, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous male drummers?" and "Who are the best male drummers?"
- Photo: Featureflash / ShutterstockSir Richard Starkey (born 7 July 1940), known professionally as Ringo Starr, is an English musician, singer, songwriter and actor who gained worldwide fame as the drummer for the Beatles. He occasionally sang lead vocals with the group, usually for one song on each album, including "With a Little Help from My Friends", "Yellow Submarine", "Good Night", and their cover of "Act Naturally". He also wrote and sang the Beatles' songs "Don't Pass Me By" and "Octopus's Garden", and is credited as a co-writer of others, including "What Goes On" and "Flying". Starr was afflicted by life-threatening illnesses during childhood, and he fell behind in school as a result of prolonged hospitalisations.... more
- Genres (Music): Pop music, Rock music, World music, Psychedelic rock
- Albums: I Wanna Be Santa Claus, Concert for George, Sentimental Journey, VH1 Storytellers, Vertical Man
- Nationality: United Kingdom
- Photo: Tim Mosenfelder / Getty ImagesAdam Michael Goldstein (March 30, 1973 – August 28, 2009), known professionally as DJ AM, was an American disc jockey (DJ). Born in Philadelphia, Goldstein became interested in deejaying as a child after watching Herbie Hancock perform his 1983 single "Rockit". Goldstein developed a drug addiction as a teenager and was sent to the controversial rehabilitation center Straight, Incorporated. After he left the center, his drug problems became worse; he was addicted to crack cocaine for several years in his early twenties. After he attempted suicide in 1997, Goldstein became sober and later sponsored other addicts through Alcoholics Anonymous. Goldstein began deejaying in clubs in Los Angeles... more
- Genres (Music): Hip hop music
- Nationality: United States of America
- Photo: Gareth Cattermole / Getty ImagesLars Ulrich (; Danish: [laːs ˈulˀʁæk]; born 26 December 1963) is a Danish musician, songwriter, record producer and podcaster. He is best known as the drummer and co-founder of the American heavy metal band Metallica. The son of tennis player Torben Ulrich and grandson of tennis player Einer Ulrich, he also played tennis in his youth and moved to Los Angeles at age 16 to train professionally. However, rather than playing tennis, Ulrich began playing drums. After publishing an advertisement in The Recycler, Ulrich met vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield and formed Metallica. Along with Hetfield, Ulrich has songwriting credits on all of the band's songs. He was the face of the band during the... more
- Genres (Music): Thrash metal, Heavy metal, Speed metal, Hard rock
- Nationality: Denmark, United States of America
- Photo: Taylor Hill / Getty ImagesDavid Eric Grohl (born January 14, 1969) is an American singer, songwriter, musician and director. He is the founder, lead vocalist, rhythm guitarist and primary songwriter of the rock band Foo Fighters since 1994, and was the best known and longest-serving drummer for Nirvana from late 1990 to early 1994, when Nirvana disbanded following the death of Kurt Cobain. Grohl is also the drummer and co-founder of the rock supergroup Them Crooked Vultures, and wrote the music and performed all the instruments for his short-lived side projects Late! and Probot. He has also recorded and frequently tours with rock band Queens of the Stone Age. Foo Fighters meld melodic elements with heavier ones, and... more
- Genres (Music): Doom metal, Rock music, Grunge, Heavy metal, Stoner rock
- Albums: Foo Fighters, Probot, Pocketwatch, Touch, Sign of Love
- Nationality: United States of America