List of famous male flautists, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest male flautists list contains the most prominent and top males known for being flautists. There are thousand of males working as flautists in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic flautists have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a male aspiring to be a flautist then the people below should give you inspiration.
This list includes Buddy Collette, Cecil Payne and more people.While this isn't a list of all male flautists, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous male flautists?" and "Who are the best male flautists?"
- Herbert Jeffrey Hancock (born April 12, 1940) is an American pianist, keyboardist, bandleader, composer and actor. Hancock started his career with Donald Byrd. He shortly thereafter joined the Miles Davis Quintet, where he helped to redefine the role of a jazz rhythm section and was one of the primary architects of the post-bop sound. In the 1970s, Hancock experimented with jazz fusion, funk, and electro styles. Hancock's best-known compositions include "Cantaloupe Island", "Watermelon Man" (later performed by dozens of musicians, including bandleader Mongo Santamaría), "Maiden Voyage", "Chameleon", and the singles "I Thought It Was You" and "Rockit". His 2007 tribute album River: The... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 80
- Birthplace: USA, Chicago, Illinois
- Photo: Metaweb / CC-BYEdward McGuire is a Scottish composer. He studied composition with James Iliff at the Royal Academy of Music in London from 1966 to 1970 and then with Ingvar Lidholm in Stockholm in 1971. His opera "Cullercoats Tommy", with a libretto by Michael Wilcox was premiered by Northern Sinfonia and Northern Stage in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1993 He received a British Composers' Award in 2003. In 2004 he received a Creative Scotland Award which allowed him to create the work Defying Fate. He was commissioned to produce the finale for the 2006 St Magnus Festival, Ring of Strings. McGuire plays the flute in the folk group the Whistlebinkies. In January 2006 he travelled to Hong Kong with the group to... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 72
- Birthplace: Glasgow, United Kingdom
- Photo: uploaded by BojanglesPaul Horn (March 17, 1930 – June 29, 2014) was an American flautist, saxophonist, composer and producer. He became a pioneer of world and new age music with his 1969 album, Inside.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 84 (1930-2014)
- Birthplace: New York City, New York, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb / GNU Free Documentation LicenseAurèle Nicolet is a Swiss flautist. He is considered as one of the world's best flute players of the late twentieth century. He has performed in various international concerts. A number of composers wrote music especially for him, such composers include Toru Takemitsu, György Ligeti, Krzysztof Meyer or Edison Denisov. His pupils include Emmanuel Pahud, Carlos Bruneel, Michael Faust, Pedro Eustache, Thierry Fischer, Irena Grafenauer, Huáscar Barradas, Kristiyan Koev, Jadwiga Kotnowska, Robert Langevin, Marina Piccinini, Kaspar Zehnder, and Ariel Zuckermann.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 94
- Birthplace: Neuchâtel, Switzerland