List of famous male footballers, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest male footballers list contains the most prominent and top males known for being footballers. There are thousand of males working as footballers in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic footballers have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a male aspiring to be a footballer then the people below should give you inspiration.
List features people like Joachim Waroi and Georgios Samaras.While this isn't a list of all male footballers, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous male footballers?" and "Who are the best male footballers?"
- Photo: David Benett / Getty ImagesWayne Mark Rooney (born 24 October 1985) is an English professional footballer who plays for American MLS club D.C. United. He has played much of his career as a forward, and he has also been used in various midfield roles. He is the record goalscorer for the England national team and for Manchester United. At club level, he has won every honour available in English, European, and Continental football, with the exception of the UEFA Super Cup. Rooney and Michael Carrick are the only English players to win the Premier League, FA Cup, UEFA Champions League, League Cup, UEFA Europa League, and FIFA Club World Cup.Rooney joined the Everton youth team at the age of 9 and made his professional... more
- Age: 36
- Birthplace: Croxteth, United Kingdom
- Vyacheslav Aleksandrovich Malafeev (Russian: Вячесла́в Алекса́ндрович Малафе́ев, IPA: [vʲɪtɕɪˈslav ɐlʲɪˈksandrəvʲɪtɕ məlɐˈfʲeɪf]; born 4 March 1979) is a Russian football official and a former player who played as a goalkeeper. He is a one-club man, having spent all 17 of his professional seasons with Zenit. He works as an assistant director of sports for Zenit.... more
- Age: 42
- Birthplace: Saint Petersburg, Russia
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainIan Roberts (born 31 July 1965) is an Australian actor, and former professional rugby league footballer who played in the 1980s and 1990s. A New South Wales State of Origin and Australian international representative forward, he played club football with the South Sydney Rabbitohs, Wigan Warriors, Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles and North Queensland Cowboys. In 1995 Roberts became the first high-profile Australian sports person and first rugby footballer in the world to come out to the public as gay.... more
- Age: 56
- Birthplace: London, England
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Fair useJustinus Soni "Justin" Fashanu (; 19 February 1961 – 2 May 1998) was an English footballer who played for a variety of clubs between 1978 and 1997. He was known by his early clubs to be gay, and came out to the press later in his career, becoming the first professional footballer to be openly gay. He was also the first black footballer to command a £1million transfer fee, with his transfer from Norwich City to Nottingham Forest in 1981, but had little success as a player afterwards, although he continued to play at senior level until 1994. After moving to the United States, in 1998 he was questioned by police when a seventeen-year-old boy accused him of sexual assault. He was charged, and... more
- Age: Dec. at 37 (1961-1998)
- Birthplace: Hackney Central, London, United Kingdom