List of famous male jazz violinists, listed by their level of prominence with photos when available. This greatest male jazz violinists list contains the most prominent and top males known for being jazz violinists. There are thousand of males working as jazz violinists in the world, but this list highlights only the most notable ones. Historic jazz violinists have worked hard to become the best that they can be, so if you're a male aspiring to be a jazz violinist then the people below should give you inspiration.
The list you're viewing is made up of people like Billy Bang and Zbigniew Seifert.While this isn't a list of all male jazz violinists, it does answer the questions "Who are the most famous male jazz violinists?" and "Who are the best male jazz violinists?"
- Stéphane Grappelli (French pronunciation: [stefan ɡʁapɛli]; 26 January 1908 – 1 December 1997) was a French jazz violinist who founded the Quintette du Hot Club de France with guitarist Django Reinhardt in 1934. It was one of the first all-string jazz bands. He has been called "the grandfather of jazz violinists" and continued playing concerts around the world well into his 80s.For the first three decades of his career, he was billed using a gallicised spelling of his last name, Grappelly, reverting to Grappelli in 1969. The latter, Italian spelling, is now used almost universally when referring to the violinist, including reissues of his early work.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 89 (1908-1997)
- Birthplace: Paris, France
- Photo: Wikimedia Commons / CC-BYLeroy Jenkins (Chicago, March 11, 1932 – February 24, 2007, New York City) was an American composer and violinist/violist.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 75 (1932-2007)
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois
- Billy Bang (September 20, 1947 – April 11, 2011), born William Vincent Walker, was an American free jazz violinist and composer.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 64 (1947-2011)
- Birthplace: Mobile, Alabama
- Photo: uploaded by BojanglesVassar Carlton Clements (April 25, 1928 – August 16, 2005) was a Grammy Award-winning American jazz, swing, and bluegrass fiddler. Clements has been dubbed the Father of Hillbilly Jazz, an improvisational style that blends and borrows from swing, hot jazz, and bluegrass along with roots also in country and other musical traditions.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 77 (1928-2005)
- Birthplace: USA, Florida, Kinard