List of notable or famous male tenors, with photos. The world's leading tenors are unsurprisingly men. These famous tenor singers have provided some of the most distinguished vocals in history.
List of notable famous male tenors includes Luciano Pavarotti, Francesco Albanese, Jose Carreras and Paul Potts.You may want to copy this list to make your own list of favorite tenors. List is alphabetical & sortable by column. The gentlemen who are the best male vocalists are on this list. In addition to the tenors listed above, the opera singers on this list are some of the most famous in both modern times and in the history of one of the most exquisite art forms in the world. The booming vocals and soothing tenor sounds have won over fans all over the world and helped enhance the art form known as opera.
- Luciano Pavarotti (, also US: , Italian: [luˈtʃaːno pavaˈrɔtti]; 12 October 1935 – 6 September 2007) was an Italian operatic tenor who also crossed over into popular music, eventually becoming one of the most commercially successful tenors of all time. He made numerous recordings of complete operas and individual arias, gaining worldwide fame for the quality of his tone, and eventually established himself as one of the finest tenors of the 20th century, achieving the honorific title "king of the high C's".As one of the Three Tenors who performed their first concert during the 1990 FIFA World Cup before a global audience, Pavarotti became well known for his televised concerts and media... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 72 (1935-2007)
- Birthplace: Modena, Italy
- Photo: flickr / CC0Sir Peter Neville Luard Pears ( PEERZ; 22 June 1910 – 3 April 1986) was an English tenor. His career was closely associated with the composer Benjamin Britten, his personal and professional partner for nearly forty years. Pears' musical career started slowly. He was at first unsure whether to concentrate on playing or singing, and despite the efforts of some of his friends, it was not until he met Britten in 1937 that he threw himself wholeheartedly into singing. Once he and Britten were established as a partnership, the composer wrote many concert and operatic works with Pears's voice in mind, and the singer created roles in more than ten operas by his partner. In the concert hall, Pears... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 76 (1910-1986)
- Birthplace: Farnham, United Kingdom
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainMario Lanza (US: , Italian: [ˈlantsa]; born Alfredo Arnold Cocozza [koˈkɔttsa]; January 31, 1921 – October 7, 1959) was an American tenor of Italian ancestry, and an actor and Hollywood film star of the late 1940s and the 1950s. Lanza began studying to be a professional singer at the age of 16. After appearing at the Hollywood Bowl in 1947, Lanza signed a seven-year film contract with Louis B. Mayer, the head of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, who saw his performance and was impressed by his singing. Prior to that, the adult Lanza had sung only two performances of an opera. The following year (1948), however, he sang the role of Pinkerton in Puccini's Madame Butterfly in New Orleans.His film début for... more on Wikipedia
- Age: Dec. at 38 (1921-1959)
- Birthplace: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domainJosep Maria Carreras i Coll (Catalan: [ʒuˈzɛb məˈɾi.ə kəˈreɾəs i ˈkɔʎ]; born 5 December 1946), better known as José Carreras (, Spanish: [xoˈse kaˈreɾas]), is a Spanish tenor who is particularly known for his performances in the operas of Verdi and Puccini.Born in Barcelona, he made his debut on the operatic stage at 11 as Trujamán in Manuel de Falla's El retablo de Maese Pedro and went on to a career that encompassed over 60 roles, performed in the world's leading opera houses and in numerous recordings. He gained fame with a wider audience as one of the Three Tenors along with Plácido Domingo and Luciano Pavarotti in a series of mass concerts that began in 1990 and continued until 2003.... more on Wikipedia
- Age: 73
- Birthplace: Barcelona, Spain