Famous People You Didn't Know Were Methodist
Think of your favorite celebrity. Can you name their most famous role? Their significant other? How about their religious affiliation? You probably can't name many famous people who are Methodist – but that's because you haven't looked at this list yet. A number of famous actors, singers, and politicians were raised in the Methodist church or consider themselves a member of the faith.
Who will you find on this list of celebrities who are Methodist? Beyoncé Knowles takes the number-one spot. The superstar performer was raised in the Methodist church. "God is real and God lives inside of me and inside of all of us and it doesn't matter where I am, I know that and I feel it," she has said of her faith. Star Wars director George Lucas was brought up in a Methodist household, but he now refers to himself as a "Methodist Buddhist." Author Stephen King attended a Methodist church as a child. Other celebrity Methodists featured on this list include George W. Bush, Jackie Robinson, and Tim Curry.
Are you surprised that so many celebs have Methodist backgrounds? Take a look at this list and get in on the conversation in the comments section.
- Photo: raymondclarkeimages / flickr / CC-BY-NC 2.0
Beyoncé Knowles was raised in the Methodist church. "God is real and God lives inside of me and inside of all of us and it doesn't matter where I am, I know that and I feel it," she has said of her faith.
- Age: 41
- Birthplace: Houston, Texas, United States of America
- Photo: White House photo by Eric Draper / Wikimedia Commons / Public domain
Former President George W. Bush attends a Methodist Church every Sunday with his wife and daughters.
- Age: 76
- Birthplace: New Haven, Connecticut, United States of America
- Photo: A Bearded Recluse / via Pinterest
Christopher Walken was raised Methodist. He said, "God is very mysterious to me, but I know the power of belief. It's my source of strength."
- Age: 80
- Birthplace: Astoria, New York City, New York, USA
Hillary Clinton often speaks of her Methodist faith on the campaign trail. "You know, my family and my faith taught me a simple credo — do all the good you can, in all the ways you can, for all the people you can," she said.
- Age: 75
- Birthplace: Chicago, Illinois, USA
- Photo: storify.com / via Pinterest
Director George Lucas was brought up in a Methodist household, but he now refers to himself as a "Methodist Buddhist."
- Age: 78
- Birthplace: Modesto, California, United States of America
- Photo: Metaweb (FB) / Public domain
Civil Rights leader Rosa Parks was a lifelong member of the African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Age: Dec. at 92 (1913-2005)
- Birthplace: Tuskegee, Alabama, United States of America